New amp - Cyrus or Plinius

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm afraid I am revisiting my question from 2009 which I never completed by replacing my amp.I am rearranging my home entertainment. I am currently set up as follows:

TV - Pioneer Kuro 50', Denon 4308, Cyrus CDXTSE, Cyrus DACX, Mac mini for streaming, CM 7, CM5, CM1 and Velodyne 1200.

I want to buy a dedicated amp for music to make the most of audio. I am considering intergrating the amp into this set up or setting up another room with a new set of speakers and CD.

I am looking into the following options:

- Sticking with Cyrus, upgrading DACX to DACXP+ and adding X Power. Like the upgradeability of these but more expensive here than in UK.

- Buying Plinius 9200 or Hiato as the amp. Prices are good where I live so this would be less expensive than the Cyrus option.

- Buying Plinius amp and adding CD101 for a completely new set up.

Originally Clare said the CDXTSE/DACX/9200 was very good.

Sorry to repeat an old question but time has moved on and better options may be out there.

If you have any thoughts on sticking with Cyrus, combining or having a new system let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

A

Anonymous

If you are able to get the Plinius Hiato, then that's in a different league completely

simonbygrave:
Hello,

I'm afraid I am revisiting my question from 2009 which I never completed by replacing my amp.I am rearranging my home entertainment. I am currently set up as follows:

TV - Pioneer Kuro 50', Denon 4308, Cyrus CDXTSE, Cyrus DACX, Mac mini for streaming, CM 7, CM5, CM1 and Velodyne 1200.

I want to buy a dedicated amp for music to make the most of audio. I am considering intergrating the amp into this set up or setting up another room with a new set of speakers and CD.

I am looking into the following options:

- Sticking with Cyrus, upgrading DACX to DACXP+ and adding X Power. Like the upgradeability of these but more expensive here than in UK.

- Buying Plinius 9200 or Hiato as the amp. Prices are good where I live so this would be less expensive than the Cyrus option.

- Buying Plinius amp and adding CD101 for a completely new set up.

Originally Clare said the CDXTSE/DACX/9200 was very good.

Sorry to repeat an old question but time has moved on and better options may be out there.

If you have any thoughts on sticking with Cyrus, combining or having a new system let me know.

Thanks in advance,

Simon.

Hi Simon

I'll suggest going down the Plinius route. Options to consider are

9200 + CD-101, Hiato + CD-101

9200 + Chord Electronics QBD76, Hiato + QBD76

Plinius have also released their new Hautonga integrated amplifier (UK RRP £4454). So therefore Hautonga + CD-101 or Hautonga + QBD76 are also worth a look.

As for speakers ATC's SCM19/SCM40, Dynaudio Contour S 1.4/S 3.4 and Monitor Audio PL100/PL200 are worth considering.

Btw, the Hiato is a beast
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice so far. I am going to go and audition the Plinius with CD-101 and also my Cyrus. I guess it may be worth spending the money on a great amp rather than a new CD player but will see what I find out.

Will also have a sneaky listen to the M8/P10 which would definitely require new speakers! I wonder how that would compare to the Hiato.

Any other thoughts, please keep them coming.

Cheers,

Simon.

simonbygrave:
Thanks for the advice so far. I am going to go and audition the Plinius with CD-101 and also my Cyrus. I guess it may be worth spending the money on a great amp rather than a new CD player but will see what I find out.

Will also have a sneaky listen to the M8/P10 which would definitely require new speakers! I wonder how that would compare to the Hiato.

Any other thoughts, please keep them coming.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hi Simon

Your welcome.

M8/P10 is an excellent combination
emotion-1.gif
however Hiato is even better!
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts