New amp but old speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
current setup: panasonic TH37PX70B tv, panasonic dmp-bd35 blu-ray, 5 year old marantz SR4200 amp with Eltax symphony speakers and paradigm subwoofer.

Hello,

I am looking into buying a new amp mainly for home cinema use so am not to bothered about musical ability, looking to spend around £350 so usual suspects onkyo606, yamaha763 spring to mind.

Question is am i wasting my time buying a new amp if a dont buy new speakers at the same time, my eltax's do a good job at the mo but not sure how they will deal with HD sound. I will be upgrading them in the future but prob not for at least 6 months. should i wait and buy them all together.

Second question is if i buy decent floorstanding speakers do i need to bother spending much on the surrounds

Any input would be greatly apprciated

Cheers

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
If you want to buy the amp first you should still get an improvement in sound without upgrading the speakers, as long as the amp is better than the one you have.

I upgraded my amp but was still using some Sony speakers that came with an old midi system, and speakers that came with my TV. There was still a marked improvement.

I think the fronts are more used and more important than the surrounds, but if you want decent surround sound you'll need to get decent surrounds.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts