New adventure into vinyl

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to give it a go........

Been browsing briefly (my daughter was getting restless in her buggy) in the local used record store in Lincoln - Back to Mono..crikey its like Aladdins Cave. Came out with 5 albums for £12 brilliant albums that I wanted to own on CD so gonna have a go at vinyl.

Ive ordered an RP1 which will go nice with my Brio R & RS1

I don't intend to duplicate music I already own on CD but going through the albums today there is loads of music that I ad forgot about and would pnt even consider buying on CD.

Has anybody regretted doing this?

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Instesting and like your comment of not duplicating anything you already have the CD of.

When CDs came out the industry hoped that everyone would buy new material on CD (then twice the cost of an LP) and to also hunt through the catalogue of re-released on CD to convert their vinyl collection to CD.

Personally I stopped buying new albums in the quantities I used to buy LPs. I am now transferring my vinyl to a digital juke box linking in aging Hi-FI with a Terratec DMx6Fire USB sound card to a PC. CDs are quick to transfer but vinly is in real time and needs monitoring to check the set up but I get to listen to every album at least once more on vinyl.

Given an infinite pot of money I might source the CD to make a digital transfer, but I am not convinced that would save time or produce a more rewarding entry in the digital juke box. Oh and I find I listen to both the LP transfer and the CD rip of my favourite albums in roughly equal plays. Your 'mileage' may differ.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I actually like the whole idea of vinyl, cleaning it, taking it out the sleeve etc, yes I have a huge cd collection that's mostly sounds great through my DAC but for the cost of a used RP1 @£150 and all the records available it's a great opportunity

edplaysdrums42

May 2, 2009
Visit site
That's understandable. I don't think you will regret it. You will occasionally get a few duff records here and there. I enjoy all formats and probably use digital more than vinyl so would i never get rid of it.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I see it as a compliment to my DAC/CD player. Just browsing today in the record shop reminded me of all the great music I listened to in my teens/20s that I forgot about....eg The Waterboys - This is the Sea £2!!!!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well so far I'm pretty impressed with what vinyl has to offer, however I'm finding a few duff recordings....the same a cd really! But on the whole I'm enjoying it.

The best thing is browsing and the 2nd hand record store in town and buying stuff that's cheap that I would of never considered on cd before and have been surprised eg Neil Diamond The Jazz Singer sounds pretty good, plus I grew up with it as my parents had it in the 70s!

drichardb

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm currently saving some money so I can get myself back into vinyl. Where possible I'll be buying new releases on vinyl instead of CD/Digital. If your a fan of the foo fighters, check out the difference between Wasting Light on CD and Vinyl. The Vinyl version beats the snot out of its digital brother!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts