Netflix to lower streaming quality in Europe to reduce internet traffic

ruffian

Apr 4, 2010
Visit site
As if we’re not going to be miserable enough we now have to suffer reduced quality. Maybe my subscription will have to go on hold until the summer. Annoyingly, the broadband companies all said (earlier this week) that they can cope with the extra demand!

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
Visit site
It'll still look better than Amazon Prime anyway, I expect!

Why only Europe? It would be better to suspend the 4K service and reduce everyone's sub to the 1080 price surely?

Mechanic57

Mar 20, 2020
Visit site
Just checked in with Netflix support and they are not processing any refunds during this bandwidth reduction period. I believe if enough complain and possibly threaten to cancel subscriptions they may change their minds.

no-name-123

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Mechanic57

some sort of reduction in monthly cost is more realistic to reflect the reduced service. Try contacting a high profile consumer show, so that all the viewers will get to hear about it and embarras netflix into doing the right thing. This is like paying for a blu-ray but being sent a DVD

Reactions: Minkey1
D

Deleted member 188533

Posted this in the youtube article as well but the datacenters are all here in the US. There are trans Atlantic and trans Pacific fiber cables that carry the load. They have a huge but limited bandwidth. Under normal circumstances they can handle the traffic but if everyone in Europe is streaming HD at the same time....it just too much for the existing framework to handle at once. And they have to keep critical infrastructure open. Banking / medical etc. So something has to be sacrificed to ensure it works for everyone.

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
Just checked in with Netflix support and they are not processing any refunds during this bandwidth reduction period. I believe if enough complain and possibly threaten to cancel subscriptions they may change their minds.

Had a major fall out with them. I'm in the UK, on their 4K/4 screens plan. Seeing reports of "still 4K, but PQ may suffer" (🤔) I went on their Live Chat. When I asked about rebates t'lass got all shirty and said I'd still got the 4 screens element so what was I bothered about and I "couldn't opt out".

I said I could opt out of Netflix and cancel - and perhaps wrongly, ended the Chat session.

Next thing, and before I'd a chance to ponder what to do, I got an email saying they'd cancelled my subscription!

Got Reed Hastings email and complained and got a response from Corporate Escalations saying they were looking into it.

As it happens, there's little on NF to interest us at the minute and we're using Prime more. Between subscriptions and trials I've got Prime, NF, Now, Spotify, and Tidal plus occasional purchases/rents from GP so this is an opportunity to consolidate, depending on what NF Corporate say.

It feels like sharp practice to me. Especially given BT's response saying there's plenty of capacity in the UK, even allowing for home working.

First world problems I know. But still ☹️

Minkey1

Jan 16, 2012
Visit site
minkey1 it is a sharp practice. BT that run the network are best placed to know their network. Lowering the quality but not the cost is proffiteering
I agree. I don't think this is a good look for them. I'm prepared to do my bit but so should they. And I've read they are charged for the bandwidth so they'll see a saving AND keep *their* prices unaltered.

I realise they are dominant but haven't seen any similar announcement from any other provider.

Fortunately, we have the ultimate response.

no-name-123

Feb 18, 2020
Visit site
Minkey1 you'd probably know that BT own the network, and wholesale it to sky, plusnet and all the others. Sadly some companies don't care about their image, Sky for example, 10% yearly price rise for no reason. Abusing dominany market position is against the law

Wil

May 8, 2020
Visit site
Personally, it's always just a choice towards content e.g. this clip maxes at 480p, but because I enjoy the performance I revisit it more so than most (higher-definition) discs I've bought:

Netflix (that I watch most) at 1080p reduced to 1.47 Mbps is certainly intolerable, if they return to before (averaging at 5.25 Mbps) then it's simply the subscription terms I knowingly had pay for.

hopefully enough customers will give them the flix when the time comes. A blu-ray or even a DVD should decimate streaming

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts