Netflix rolls out Spatial Audio for 700 movies and TV shows - and you can try it here

Tonestar1

Does anybody have any idea how an AVR with DTS X/Atmos will interpret this Spatial Audio signal? I'm wondering if it will work over standard Atmos decoding or if its going to necessitate another round of AVR upgrades to allow it to be fully decoded.

Does anybody have any idea how an AVR with DTS X/Atmos will interpret this Spatial Audio signal? I'm wondering if it will work over standard Atmos decoding or if its going to necessitate another round of AVR upgrades to allow it to be fully decoded.
It’s not at all clear, is it? Maybe time for WHF journalists to ask some questions of Netflix?

On my iPad it sounded like phasey stereo, just like I recall from decades ago quadrophonic trickery! Hafler wiring, anyone? :)

Reactions: Tonestar1

Sliced Bread

It’s not at all clear, is it? Maybe time for WHF journalists to ask some questions of Netflix?

On my iPad it sounded like phasey stereo, just like I recall from decades ago quadrophonic trickery! Hafler wiring, anyone? :)
It can sound a bit like that, I think it’s hit and miss depending on the content.
The surround effect is more convincing though.

Last edited:

Sliced Bread

Goes to show how much psychology is involved. I thought this was an improvement when watching Wednesday via an AV receiver, but it’s probably exactly the same Atmos signal.

special audio is intended for headphones.

jonny7

Feb 4, 2023
Visit site
Well I've tried this and cannot say I'm impressed. Sounds like stereo, but with a narrower than usual soundstage and, certainly in the Stranger Things clip, unpleasantly muffled.

Reactions: Sliced Bread

Sliced Bread

Well I've tried this and cannot say I'm impressed. Sounds like stereo, but with a narrower than usual soundstage and, certainly in the Stranger Things clip, unpleasantly muffled.
Yeah really is hit and miss.
The same with Apple’s spacial audio. Sometimes it’s an improvement but frequently the fidelity suffers too much.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts