Need to re-rip collection - what format?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Decision made - Archos 43 internet tablet coming this way when released (next month?).

However, I now need to re-rip my music in anticipation of the stork arriving. I currently have circa 16Gb @ 192kbps MP3. Would like to improve quality but still fit onto a 32Gb MicroSD card, probably with a couple of Gb room to expand. (I suppose I could split it over 2 cards, or use some of the internal storage for music as well, but I had intended to devote a 2nd card to movies). Was thinking 320 kbps MP3 but before spending a lot of time on it I wanted to see if there were better alternatives. The Archos will play MP3 CBR & VBR, WMA, WMA-Pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM), AAC, AAC+ 5.1 , OGG Vorbis, FLAC.

I currently have iTunes (almost certainly getting binned) and Windows Media Player on the laptop, but have no problem with installing something like Media Monkey if that would be best for this brave new world.

Any recommendations? Many thanks. 

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
athenry:
Decision made - Archos 43 internet tablet coming this way when released (next month?).

However, I now need to re-rip my music in anticipation of the stork arriving. I currently have circa 16Gb @ 192kbps MP3. Would like to improve quality but still fit onto a 32Gb MicroSD card, probably with a couple of Gb room to expand. (I suppose I could split it over 2 cards, or use some of the internal storage for music as well, but I had intended to devote a 2nd card to movies). Was thinking 320 kbps MP3 but before spending a lot of time on it I wanted to see if there were better alternatives. The Archos will play MP3 CBR & VBR, WMA, WMA-Pro 5.1, WAV (PCM/ADPCM), AAC, AAC+ 5.1 , OGG Vorbis, FLAC.

I currently have iTunes (almost certainly getting binned) and Windows Media Player on the laptop, but have no problem with installing something like Media Monkey if that would be best for this brave new world.

Any recommendations? Many thanks.ÿ

I really wouldn't bother if it's for earphone use. To make a difference, AAC is supposed to be an excellent format and 320kbps might make a smidge of difference but you will struggle to fit it on a 32gb card.

A

Anonymous

Excellent - you are appealing to the sloth in me !ÿ
emotion-2.gif

If it's marginal (I use Sennheiser PMX 80 headphones, but am vaguely thinking about getting a new closed back set) I think I'll rip a couple of different style tracks in different formats and test them out before spending too much time on the whole lot.

The other option was to go for an old Archos 5 IT before they disappear from Amazon with 160Gb or 500Gb HD, which would have let me play fast and loose with formats, but on balance I prefer flash storage just for sake of durability.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts