Need system advice

Mcanaday

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello Audiophiles!

I'm trying to put together a nice sounding system for a small listening room (about 10' by 10'). Space is constrained in every way, so I need to select small speakers and small components. I have a few options in mind. I am wondering if readers have any thoughts as to whether one is better than another, or if any of these a good idea. System A) is a Creek Evolution 50a amplifier, a Creek Evolution 50d cd player, and DynAudio Excite X12 speakers. System B) is a Creek Evolution 50a amplifier, a Creek Evolution 50d cd player, and KEF LS50 speakers. System C would be either speaker above paired with a Rega Brio R amp and a Rega Apollo R cd.

Any thoughts about which direction I should go? Thanks, Margot

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Amp and cd player are good but speakers both need more space not really suitable for small room restricted space. Rega RS1 maybe better or Kef R100s.

Have you considered AVI AMD 9RS which are less fussy?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Why not stick some Epos Epic 2s in system A. Theres a good reason for this if you do some homework :). You would have a cracking little set up there I reckon.

matthewpiano

It might be worth auditioning the Q Acoustics Concept 20 on their bespoke stands. If they really are so much better than the standard 2020i I reckon they could be really special, and they are a very manageable size for a smaller room.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
It might be worth auditioning the Q Acoustics Concept 20 on their bespoke stands. If they really are so much better than the standard 2020i I reckon they could be really special, and they are a very manageable size for a smaller room.

I keep badgering my dealer mate to get a pair in for a play ,really got me intrigued have these. No I'm not in the market for small standies, just interested in having a listen.

T

the record spot

For a small room? Tannoy DC4. Terrific in smaller spaces. Mine sit facing across the width of the room rather than down it and I'm often surprised at how they reproduce certain sounds. Mile-wide stereo too, which is great for movies, but focused and pinpoint stereo image for music. The dual concentric driver that Tannoy use (similar kind of idea in principle to KEF's Uni-Q arrangement, in as much as the tweeter and lower range drivers are housed in the one enclosure within the speaker cabinet as opposed to separate). Lovely finish too - they look and sound way beyond their £350 price tag.

Mcanaday

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,Thanks so much for the good advice. I am getting a real education! I should have explained originally that I have a shelf issue that gives me about 12 inches of depth (not including cords and cables) for amp and cd. So this knocks out a lot besides Creek and Rega.I have now eliminated the Dynaudios (sigh) because of the room size. The room is actually 9 by 11. I will be able to place each speaker about 2 feet from the back wall and 2 feet from the side wall. Would the Élan 10 work okay in such a small room? If so, I love the idea of an Epos - Creek pairing. If not, I am also pretty intrigued by the q acoustics concept 20, the tanoy dc4, and the Neat Iotas. The Karis are super interesting but stretch my budget a bit. And then there is the possibility of going all Rega: brio, apollo, rs1.If you have any further insights, please advise. I really appreciate the help!Margot

Mcanaday

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
P.S. someone also suggested the Silverline Minuet Plus, which also look really good for a small space. Does anyone have any experience with these?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts