Need some new cans and amp, up to £450

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As per title, need some new cans. Had some Grado SR80i's last year, they were a bit too uncomfortable and too treble happy for me. They didn't have the bass weight of my old Beyerdynamic DT801's, not even close. Looking for something not too high-happy but with bass weight (not ignoring accuracy) to boot! Need an amp too, considering the new M1HPA frm MF, or an older X-Cans, since I can get them for next to nothing on eBay. May even go for the NJS (I think that's the name) Monitor I with the built in dac.

Was looking at Sennheiser HD650's or similar? Not even sure what there is to rival them, I'm just worried about losing the midrange detail of the Grado's. Although, I feel a very slight loss in detail can be made up with in musicality. It#s all about enjoyment afterall.

Sources are an MF M6 Cd player and my laptop.

Thoughts, opinions?

Cheers,

Darren

CustomCable

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
TBH, the HD650/M1 HPA would be a great mix but I prefer the new M1 HPA over the X-Can as I think the x-Can is a little too cuddly for my liking. Another headphone to take a listen to would be the Denon AH-D2000's.On a side note i'd also recommend the MF V-Link between your laptop and the DAC on the M6 CD Player.

A

Anonymous

One problem is that I can't actually demo the headphones. Nowhere near me has higher end headphones other than Grado. Not sure what to do on that front...

As for the amp, M1 and V-link may be a stretch, I may consider the older tube shaped X-Cans and a V-Link.

idc

If you go with MF, particularly X-CANs, get used to bass detail rather than BASS weight.I would suggest that closed backed cans are likely to help you with your search for bass.

Auditioning higher end headphones is a nightmare and I would read as many reviews as possible to get a flavour of what would do for you.

idc

Near Glasgow, which has a good amount of hifi shops. Anything more than about £150 has to be ordered in. The most expensive cans I can try are at the Apple Shop with B&W P5s and Bose. Oh and the ubiquitous Beats.

A

Anonymous

idc said:
Near Glasgow, which has a good amount of hifi shops. Anything more than about £150 has to be ordered in. The most expensive cans I can try are at the Apple Shop with B&W P5s and Bose. Oh and the ubiquitous Beats.

Same as me :).

Unless you want to buy Grado's you're screwed for good headphones in Glasgow. Even though there's The Audio Salon, Sevenoaks, Glasgow Audio, Audio Merchants, Loud & Clear, Richer Sounds, StereoStereo. Apparently a new one I haven't see on on Byres road too?

All of those within literally 2 mikles of each other, yet nothing over £100 but a Grado, among them. Even less headphone amps.

A

Anonymous

idc said:
The widest range of headphones in Glasgow is at Rubbadub in Howard St just along from Richer Sounds. The dispaly stock is not as much as on the website, but it is still better than most.

Been in there a few times, never seen anything I'd consider buying though.

A

Anonymous

Monstrous said:
As per title, need some new cans. Had some Grado SR80i's last year, they were a bit too uncomfortable and too treble happy for me. They didn't have the bass weight of my old Beyerdynamic DT801's, not even close. Looking for something not too high-happy but with bass weight (not ignoring accuracy) to boot! Need an amp too, considering the new M1HPA frm MF, or an older X-Cans, since I can get them for next to nothing on eBay. May even go for the NJS (I think that's the name) Monitor I with the built in dac.

Was looking at Sennheiser HD650's or similar? Not even sure what there is to rival them, I'm just worried about losing the midrange detail of the Grado's. Although, I feel a very slight loss in detail can be made up with in musicality. It#s all about enjoyment afterall.

Sources are an MF M6 Cd player and my laptop.

Thoughts, opinions?

Cheers,

Darren

Home Outfitters Coupons

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Hi Darren,

As a long time owner of the Sennheiser's 650, here's some of my experience with them:

-they deliver an utterly controlled, weighty sound. No lack of bass weight here (!)

-treble and midrange is smooth.

-the 650 gels particularly well with MF headphone amps. Have used the X-can v3 for years. This has a smoother, warmer sound then the V8, which is more detailed, even handed, but also a little clinical to my ears.

-they are well designed and can take a beating. I've used them almost daily for more then 3 years and they still look good. (I even dropped them a few times -accidentilly of course!- and they coped with it without damage)

In my experience Sennheiser's 650 deliver a sound that's very different from Grado, more smooth communication of details and weighty sound opposed to utterly detailed and very neutral- I like it much better. Only the Grado GS1000 would be a valid candidate for an upgrade. That's tells you something about the quality. It's a hifi bargain.

A

Anonymous

I agree with everyone else here. The hd 650's are amazing, and can be an absolute bargain if you look around on line. I managed to get mine for £180, although i think that was a bit of a one off deal (or possibly a mistake!!) from a large online retailer! You can find them for around the £250 right now which is still a bargain.

I use mine with a Musical Fidelity V-Can, which is MF's budget headphone amp at around £100, which seems to work fine if you're on a tight budget.

They are a very laidback pair of headphones so you might find them somewhat different to your Grado's, but i think it makes them more enjoyable to listen to. Especially if to can temper the laidback-ness with some more upfront equipment (such as a Naim cd player!)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts