Need some advice on amp and floor standers for £1000

BOB540

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi, i listen to funk,jazz,soul,reggae,60's&70's rock, hip hop and drum and bass .In that order of prefference.I'm building an extension on my house and want to get the music set up right as its my only chance before the build is finished.I have £1000 to spend on an amp and floorstanders, my room is 7mx8m a 3rd of the room has a vaulted cieling. its a kitchen/dinner with a hardwood floor and it will have a seating area round a woodburner where i will sit and enjoy my music. So i'm looking for a good sound which likes bass and can fill a room when i have a party. Any suggestions would be very much apprciated. I was looking at the Tannoy mercury v4,Q Acoustics 2050i,Monitor Audio Bronze Bx5 but not sure which speaker would suit my music taste and be able to fill the room when partying? i mostly use spotify for my source of music. Not sure what amp to go for, i'm using the award winners page to see what i can get for my money.I belive that bi wiring is the way to go? please help.

cheers, Bob

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi Bob,

I just wrote a fairly long reply to this but it all got wiped when I got asked for code verification, so frustrating! Sorry but I'm not banging all that out on the iPad again!

But briefly summarising, given the size of your room and penchant for bass I thought you might look at the BX6 instead of BX5. Mid range amps from Nad, Rotel or Yamaha will have the beef to drive them but you'd really have to demo them in your own space. If budget stretches and they're not too restrained for your musical tastes (which is largely dependent on source), Arcam A19 or Marantz PM7004/Pearl Lite will provide the kind of soundstage to fill that space nicely. They'll go loud and stay clean with it too. Alternatively could look 2nd hand for something like Roksan Caspian M1.

What is your source by the way?

Can't you wait until the room is finished and get a home demo on some kit? Whatever you demo will sound different when you get it back into that huge space. Sounds like a fantastic plan by the way!

All the best

BOB540

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
Nice one,

The budget can flex some i will check out the additinal costing, its very confusing trying to enter into a new world of hi fi, i have a Vita audio r4 at the moment sounds great for a radio/dock i have it hooked up to my lap top and use spotify or internet radio. As you can imagine it gets lost in a crowd of 4 so i need to upscale and this new move is the time to do it but i (hopefully) only want to do it once and get it right. Thanks again for your input.

Cheers, Bob

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts