NEED MORE SOUND

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm hoping you will be able to help me find a suitable surround sound package. I am quite interested in the QAcoustics Q-AV system as it will be quite unobtrusive and discreet which is what I am after and WHSV gave it 5 stars in the April issue.
Also what amp will I need? I know nothing about technical stuff, AT ALL, so was hoping I could just connect the speakers to my PX80 and have done with it. Yes I know this may sound really stupid, but seriously I know nothing.
Thanks for your help.
emotion-5.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, you will need some kind of amplifier to run the speakers. Do you have other source components, such as a DVD player, DVD recorder or Sky box? Let me know and we'll try to advise further.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Fraid not, you will need an amp of some sort. Which ones you should look at depends on your requirements. Do you have HD-DVD / Bly-Ray player or intend on getting one any time soon? Or are you intending to play any other potential Hi-Def sound formats e.g. through PC, games through a PS3 etc.

Also, what would your budget be?

EDIT - Mr E's typing skills must be legendary I reckon!!

A

Anonymous

I have a panny EX77 DVD player and SKY+ at the moment upgrading to Sky HD in the very near future. Not really thought about budget but when I told my OH I was spending £600 on speakers there was no rolling of any eyes so this seems okay!! LOL

A

Anonymous

Also I have an old AMP from years ago which my brother gave me - this is a Panasonic SA -HE9. Would this be any use?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
From what I can see, this will do you fine with your current system as it can decode Dolby Digital and DTS signals (assuming it's this one?). So you can connect your EX77 up using an optical cable and your Sky+ using standard RCA phonos.

I've no idea what it sounds like, but you could probably get a better system nowadays. However, I'd use this until you can save a bit of money, then go auditioning to see what you like. This will tide you over until then though for sure.

A

Anonymous

Yep you got the right amp. With you saying use this until I have saved some money, do you mean that £600 is not enough?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Moosive"]With you saying use this until I have saved some money, do you mean that £600 is not enough?[/quote]

I think the slapheaded prof means that as well as the £600 on speakers, you may have to spend another £350-400 to get a decent receiver that'll make the most of the Q AVs, but that the Panasonic will do until you can afford to make that next step.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Oh, sorry, I thought this was for the speakers, didn't realise you had another £600 for the amp! In which case, go forth and audition! Onkyo 605 (about £320 - £350 last time I looked) and the Onkyo 606 (£400 when released, though no reviews yet to say it's great!) are worth looking at for sure.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]I think the slapheaded prof means that as well as the £600 on speakers, you may have to spend another £350-400 to get a decent receiver that'll make the most of the Q AVs, but that the Panasonic will do until you can afford to make that next step. [/quote]
Yes, that's it! I get easily confused nowadays.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Right I get it. Thanks both of you. I there anything else out there that is discreet like the Q-AV system that I should be looking at?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts