Need help with subwoofer setup for HIFI!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I may have made the mistake of buying a subwoofer for my Hifi.

I currently use a pair of KEF Q65 floorstanders, which I love. I have recently bought a KEF PSW2000 sub because it was an absolute bargain.

The problem I am having at the minute is the best way to connect and use the sub with my floorstanders. I am using the high level inputs. The lowest Xover setting on the sub is 80hz, and this is down to the poor frequency response of the subwoofer.

I started having the speakers connected to the high pass connections on the sub, which crossed over at 100hz I believe. I am wondering whether the floorstanders would sound better connected to the full range outputs, and running the sub at a lower level. The floorstanders are full range, and I just wanted to increase the low end a bit.

I realise I should have bought a better sub which goes lower to match my floorstanders, but at the minute I do not have the budget to upgrade it.

In this position, how would you run the sub? Should I send my speakers the high pass level, or the full range level? I want to avoid having a double bass effect but I also want to utilise my floorstanders in the best way possible, and I dont think crossing over this high is the best way to use them.

I ONLY listen to music with this system.

Thanks in advance!

Jordan

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I would use the speaker inputs on the sub, and connect them in parallel with the Q65s (twist the wires together). This way the main speakers get the full signal, and you could add a tad of mid bass to your liking (use the low pass filter on the sub).

EDIT: this way, you will lower the impedance for the amp; be shure to first check the sub's impedance to see if it can be safely done - couldn't find the info with a quick internet search...

Should that still not do it, the PSW2000 can be a smart side table! :roll:

Or if you don't need a side table, you could sell it back on the bay, and use the money on some nice CDs. :p

Personally, I would go for option 3.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
jordanashley said:
Hi,

I may have made the mistake of buying a subwoofer for my Hifi.

I currently use a pair of KEF Q65 floorstanders, which I love. I have recently bought a KEF PSW2000 sub because it was an absolute bargain.

The problem I am having at the minute is the best way to connect and use the sub with my floorstanders. I am using the high level inputs. The lowest Xover setting on the sub is 80hz, and this is down to the poor frequency response of the subwoofer.

I started having the speakers connected to the high pass connections on the sub, which crossed over at 100hz I believe. I am wondering whether the floorstanders would sound better connected to the full range outputs, and running the sub at a lower level. The floorstanders are full range, and I just wanted to increase the low end a bit.

I realise I should have bought a better sub which goes lower to match my floorstanders, but at the minute I do not have the budget to upgrade it.

In this position, how would you run the sub? Should I send my speakers the high pass level, or the full range level? I want to avoid having a double bass effect but I also want to utilise my floorstanders in the best way possible, and I dont think crossing over this high is the best way to use them.

I ONLY listen to music with this system.

Thanks in advance!

Jordan

DocG said:
I would use the speaker inputs on the sub, and connect them in parallel with the Q65s (twist the wires together). This way the main speakers get the full signal, and you could add a tad of mid bass to your liking (use the low pass filter on the sub).

EDIT: this way, you will lower the impedance for the amp; be shure to first check the sub's impedance to see if it can be safely done - couldn't find the info with a quick internet search...

Should that still not do it, the PSW2000 can be a smart side table! :roll:

Or if you don't need a side table, you could sell it back on the bay, and use the money on some nice CDs. :p

Personally, I would go for option 3.

That's OK, Jordan. You're welcome. My pleasure! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts