Need help pairing Martin Logan Sequel II speakers with 4 Watt tube monoblocks

areniers

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new here. So here comes my first question. I have a pair of Martin Logan Sequel II electrostatic loudspeakers. In a few weeks I'll also have two tube monoblocks with 4 Watts output power. The tubes used are 1x300B, 1x6SL7 and 1x5U4 (rectifier).

Would it be possible to pair these directly (without preamp) with the Martin Logans, which have a sensitivity of 89dB?

Would adding a preamp (solid state or tube) actually alter the situation in any way, given the monoblocks still only posses 4 watts to hand out? If a preamp is desirable what should I look out for?

So in all, what would be the best solution to pair up these monoblocks with the Martin Logans?

Looking forward to reading your replies!

Alvin from Belgium

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
areniers said:
Hi,

I'm new here. So here comes my first question. I have a pair of Martin Logan Sequel II electrostatic loudspeakers. In a few weeks I'll also have two tube monoblocks with 4 Watts output power. The tubes used are 1x300B, 1x6SL7 and 1x5U4 (rectifier).

Would it be possible to pair these directly (without preamp) with the Martin Logans, which have a sensitivity of 89dB?

Would adding a preamp (solid state or tube) actually alter the situation in any way, given the monoblocks still only posses 4 watts to hand out? If a preamp is desirable what should I look out for?

So in all, what would be the best solution to pair up these monoblocks with the Martin Logans?

Looking forward to reading your replies!

Alvin from Belgium

Hi Alvin from Belgium, and welcome to the forum! :)

I'm not an expert in this, but... what an unusual combination! If I understand you correctly, the tube amps are on their way already, so I guess you could as well see how they combine, but sensitivity isn't the whole story. The ML's are current- and voltage-hungry speakers, with impedance dropping dramatically in the higher frequencies --- not sure 4W tube amps can deliver that (what brand and type are the amps?). Not much a preamp can change about it (that is why a "power amp" is called a "power amp" ;)).

Any possibility to combine otherwise? And btw, what source do you plan to use?

Regards,

DocG (from Belgium)

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
20 seconds googling takes you to the Martin Logan website where they tell you that the recommended amplifier power is 20 - 400 watts.

Your 4w per channel is hardly enough to power a small torch bulb. Why get the amps without checking first? :?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
I think you would be better with Audio Note speakers, or possibly JM Reynaud

... which aren't sold anywhere in Belgium... :doh:

Or go for an "impedance immune" amplifier (Pathos, Electrocompaniet, Moon, ...)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:

That is a good point, but wouldn't stop me if my blood was up (and I really wanted the 4W amps! ) :twisted:

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
DocG said:
CnoEvil said:

That is a good point, but wouldn't stop me if my blood was up (and I really wanted the 4W amps! ) :twisted:

Alvin, if you're reading this, and you are interested in these SET-prone speakers: I can give the closest Audio Note dealer I found so far (in the Netherlands). I am certainly planning to go and have a listen there (just don"t know when I'll have a spare day to do so).

The Devore speakers, which were also developed with SET-amps in mind, can be auditioned in Belgium. In fact, there was a thread about this (where is Alex, btw? Anybody heard of him lately?) on the forum a couple of months ago. Click here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts