Need help generate a basic system.

Joshisnewtothis

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Background:

I am a student who appreciates good music, but also (admittedly) likes a lot of electronic music. I am currently working to earn some money so to buy myself a new hi-fi setup/system for my university room and upgrade thereafter.

I am very new to hi-fi speaker systems and everything that it entails. I know the basic of basics, and would forgive anyone for being patronising when explaining to me the best way for me to have a setup. I am not stupid and a fast learner, but am by no means an audiphile as of yet! Although I am very willing to learn.

My case:

My budget is around £200-£300 for my setup.

- I am willing to go second hand, but am not entirely sure what things to look out for and be warey of in second hand speakers and amplifiers. -

So far I have done research into what speakers are good value and budget and come up with the following five stars:

Speakers:

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1

Wharfedale Diamond 10.0

Q Acoustics 2010/2010i

Q Acoustics 2020/2020i

Amplifiers:

Cambridge Audio Azur 340A

Cambridge Audio Azur 640A

Rotel RA-04

Cables:

I don't know all that much about cables, but what I do know is that I haven't got the time, knowledgeor equipment to spend on cable clipping and attaching audio interconnectors. A nice pair of cables already made without custom wire and connectors would be great if anyone knows of any half decent ones to go with a similar set up.

Stand:

Currently, I just don't need them, but may do when moving out of my halls, so any suggestions I would consider.
smiley-smile.gif

I do understand to a basic extent that having just five star speakers and an amplifier doesn't mean that they will neccessarily go well together or get the best out of either speakers or amplifiers as is the same with cables. Therefore, I am not looking for the most prestine setup or one that is very complicated and requires a lot of effort. Just something half decent will do me fine.

I am new and possibly naive to all this audiphile and speak milarke, so therefore excuse my ignorance and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read this, any advice or help to make my set up neat and tidy without all the fuss and complication would be fantastic!

Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi josh, welcome to the madhouse.

Need a little bit of clarification, is £200-300 your total budget or per item?

if total this is quite tight for new equipment, largely a question of what is available at the best prices right now, the Acoustic Energy Compact 1 is propably the best all round speaker at silly money but it is quite small and may lack scale and presence should you want to turn it up. I find most of the entry level amps to be much of a muchness, though others will have their favourites.

Buying used is a whole different ballgame, some very decent equipment is available if you know what you are doing, easy to buy inapropriately if not.

What are you planning to use as a source, what connectors will it have?

TRENDING THREADS