need an external hard drive.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i am after a usb external hard drive to to keep my 2 laptops free and ps3 half full tops

i have 60gb of avchd camcorder footage, 12gb photos,124gb flac files(which i am going to make mp3 copys of all)and 111gb of recorded tv,films ect

is there any 500gb min that will be able to plug into my ps3 and both laptops when i want and play movies,music videos photos ect when ever i want. what is fat32??

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
FAT32 (File Allocation Table) is a method of formatting hard disks thats all.

NTFS (New Technology File System) is the new formatting method.

However PS3's can only read FAT32 formatted drives. PC's also can read these but the file sizes are limited to 4 gigabytes.

This should not be a problem for most files. I use a Buffalo 1tb external usb powered hard drive which is connected to my Network drive for all my PS3 files and it also backs up my NAS drive which is a bonus.

T

the record spot

michael hoy said:
Have a look at this drive, I have one and it is very reliable.

Seconded for Western Digital - I have the 1TB version of the same and it's excellent. No issues at all and highly recommended.

T

the record spot

michael hoy said:
Have a look at this drive, I have one and it is very reliable.

Seconded for Western Digital - I have the 1TB version of the same and it's excellent. No issues at all and highly recommended.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
cheers, i have that amazon one wd in my wishlist was not sure if it would work with ps3. i am keen to stream everything video wise to the home so i like the first idea.

is it at all possible to use my laptops to gather all my videos and music and dump it onto a nas of some sort and then what is connected to my network stream off it.

i would like - it has 2 hard drives one saving the hard drive as back up in case the first went faulty.

be able to run squeezebox server and have a couple digital outs is it possible

michael hoy

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
WD are a good make. However, id avoid pixmania (AWFUL if anything does go wrong, and they sell a lot of refurbished products)

And the OP should bear in mind the WD will be formatted NTFS and cant be formatted FAT32 to use with the PS3 through normal formatting

It CAN be force formatted FAT 32 mind (or even partitioned so you have part NTFS part FAT32)

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
aliEnRIK said:
And the OP should bear in mind the WD will be formatted NTFS and cant be formatted FAT32 to use with the PS3 through normal formatting

It CAN be force formatted FAT 32 mind (or even partitioned so you have part NTFS part FAT32)

Swiss Knife should cover that?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts