Need Airstream??

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
I wondered if anyone had any comments on the above product?

There doesn't seem to be any reviews out there and it appears to do what an Airport Express does, for half the cash?

My airport just keeps dropping out (as did the old version I replaced this one with!!) so keen to move away from flakey Apple products!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

I have no idea what 'Airstream' product you are thinking of, can you give more details?

Regarding AEX, it is a network device and requires proper setup. It is most likely that your network, specifically the wireless part is poorly configured.

For example, all our wireless devices connect to our router/modem on one channel, except the one device that streams music which communicates with the AEX on it's own specific (and different) channel. Absolutely reliable.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00O0U37HO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/276-4949628-4638500

The above link is the product.

Thanks for the Apple support comments. Believe me, my wifi network is configured rather well! I have separated both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands with the AEX using the latter and having its very own channel too!

I am a big Apple fan, but when they don't work they're a nightmare to fix!

My own experience anyway, which I appreciate may not be universally accepted! ;)

gwynne61

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I've got pretty much the same product, but it's branded as air music, easy to set up and streams really well. I tried it using the headphone out jack to the Amp but it sounds better using toslink to my dac magic 100.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
PJ1200 said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00O0U37HO/ref=redir_mdp_mobile/276-4949...

The above link is the product.

Thanks for the Apple support comments. Believe me, my wifi network is configured rather well! I have separated both 2.4 and 5Ghz bands with the AEX using the latter and having its very own channel too!

I am a big Apple fan, but when they don't work they're a nightmare to fix!

My own experience anyway, which I appreciate may not be universally accepted! ;)

Ahh, ok, I understand.

I have seen similar devices in use where, for one reason or another, a network connection is not wanted. Setting up is then simple but of course only locally stored content can be streamed.

My own requirement involves running Spotify, so if I make a change from my now pretty old AEXs, it may well be to the Amazon Fire TV which supports Spotify Connect, or I may wait and see what Apple/Beats bring to the party in the spring.

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Well, well well.

Thought I would just conclude the thread with a mini review.

Neet Airstream turned up along with a QED optical lead I had also ordered. The result? Well no drop outs whatsoever. So that is the first bit of good/excellent news.

The set up was straightforward and connected to my wifi without issue. It is less sophisticated than the Apple offering (not surprising) and only offers 2.4Ghz band but I have been listening for a number of days and it has been no issue at all.

The added bonus is it sounds crisper and tighter through my AVIs, but I very much suspect (and hope given the £40 I spent on the cable) that it is down to the QED optical lead (although I find it hard to believe 'digital' cables should be able to differ much/if at all???)

Happy to recommend.

Been trying to use the Apple Airport as a wifi extender only (albeit a ruddy expensive one!) but surprise it is playing up! Going to take it to my brother in laws to check whether it is 'my wifi network' it is fickle about or it (like its predecessor) is fooked!!!

PJ - ps Happy New Year all!

PJ1200

Jan 4, 2008
Visit site
Oh and to add it is not just locally stored music that it plays!! It plays anything via AirPlay, so any apps (I'm running Deezer as I type!) work seamlessly.

It comes up as 'Airstream' in the AirPlay menu :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
PJ1200 said:
Oh and to add it is not just locally stored music that it plays!! It plays anything via AirPlay, so any apps (I'm running Deezer as I type!) work seamlessly.

It comes up as 'Airstream' in the AirPlay menu :)

Excellent.

Can you use the Airstreem without a full network connection? Ie, in a stand alone situation streaming from an iThing?

chrysnik

Feb 16, 2015
Visit site
I ordered this device to use in the car. If your question refers to using mobile data while connecting to the device, then I have found the following interesting article (that was also the reason for my purchase):

http://www.techoffers.org.uk/setting-airplay-audio-work-car/

chrisfcarroll

Sep 13, 2016
Visit site
It has optical out for those with a good DAC, but I was also bowled over by how good the sound is from its own DAC, using the headphone socket as a line out. It sounds much better than the Apple Airport's analog out. I would have been happy with it at triple the price.

It boots up in seconds, instead of the Apple Airports' minute or more. You can power it from a phone charger or a battery pack. You can use it away from home as an alternative to bluetooth, as well as connecting it to your home network.

The apple airport does sophisticated networking stuff as well as audio. If you only want the audio, the airstream is a steal.

TRENDING THREADS