Need Advice

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi everyone. Just finished moving 1200 miles across the country to seek a new job. We are temporarily in a much smaller place. No room for a dedicated hifi room for at least a year. I've been surviving on headphones only. And, don't get me wrong, I really love my headphones, but I'm missing my system [:'(]. The Bryston and Dyn gear is all boxed up and packed away until we eventually move to a bigger place.

In the meantime...I've decided to put together a small system in my living room. Because I have 2 small boys that are hyper and love to destroy things, this equipment must fit into a small cabinet that is locked when not in use. Using my Bryston amp is impossible. It won't fit in the cabinet and it would get too hot. Sooooo, I'm going to buy an inexpensive used amp that will fit. I've narrowed it down to two scenarios.

1. Use my bryston preamp with a roksan caspian MK1 power amp. The amp is nice and small and will fit in the cabinet. It's not very high powered so I would expect it doesn't get too hot (but that's just a guess).

2. Buy a creek evolution 1 integrated amp and leave my bryston preamp in storage. This would fit even better in the cabinet, but probably would not be as strong a performer as option 1.

Both options are pretty inexpensive.

I will be leaving my Dynaudios boxed and stored. They are too big to use in this situation. I will be getting some tiny speakers that hopefully won't draw any unwanted attention from the monsters.

Any comments appreciated. [:)]

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Have you considered one of those new micro systems that stream etc. from Marantz or Denon?

Not 'high end' but probably much more practical and you can use it in bedroom/kitchen when you move to a bigger place again eventually.

An added advantage is that you won't compare it with your bryston/dynaudio system and they usually come with speakers.

Good luck with the job hunt.

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I would buy the best I could afford because once you're back on your feet job-wise, you might want to use the system in another room. The Creek integrated and a set of small speakers (Dali Lektor 1s or 2s perhaps?) sounds like a decent stop-gap option for now.

Good luck!

matthewpiano

It depends how much you want to achieve and spend.

Drummerman's idea is an excellent one IMO.

If you go for full seperates, do you need to go as far as you are suggesting? I'd be looking at a Marantz PM6003 and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 speakers. It won't compare to your Bryston set-up, but it will be fluid and musical sounding and (following the same reasoning as drummerman), because it is budget kit you might be less inclined to compare it to your main system.

Alternatively you like the NAD sound so why not get a C326BEE with a pair of Diamond 10.1s or Dali Lektor 1s?

T

the record spot

A small and easy solution that will minimise the impact on your new living space? Why not get some active speakers? If you're looking at a Capian power amp, then Genelecs are on your radar pricewise I assume. Likewise, a bunch of others. Depends on the sound you like but the Genelecs I've heard sound wonderfully musical and very small space friendly. Should let your Apple TV plug right in (might need an adapter, not sure of the Apple TV connections) or go via your Benchmark. Speakers and amp in one - could be job done.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone!

The caspian power amp is the older MK1 and it's going for $450 used but I think I can get it for even less money. The creek integrated is about the same price, so both these options are very affordable. I'm looking to keep this very budget friendly.

Yes, I've considered getting a NAD as a stop gap. I do love their equipment, but this is a chance to try something different and I've never owned roksan or creek gear. Those two options are on the table because they are both available used right now for cheap, but I'm definately open to other ideas. For now I'll keep scanning the used gear online. Won't be buying anything until I land the job. Hopefully that won't take too long.

A

Anonymous

Have you considered some AVI ADM9.1T speakers? Compact, superb value for money and all in two speaker units, just add a digital or analogue source, e.g. Airport Express.

A

Anonymous

or save yourself a heap of cash and connect the DAC to some KRK powered monitors

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I agree about going for a small micro system or cheap budget system and if you go and do the whole pre-power with the Roksan as well you may as well just use your better HiFi in the first place. Also, don't think you mention source. Is it cd player or laptop/TV? Do you have speakers already apart from the Dynaudios. Best just get a micro system like the Denon or Onkyo. Or if you really want separates go for something like the Marantz 6003 set.

A

Anonymous

Try here: http://signalpathint.com/index.php/musicBox/musicBox.html

If the DAC is anything like the one in the Peachtree Nova, then its worth it for that alone. 25w amp, plus various speaker configurations.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Have you considered some AVI ADM9.1T speakers? Compact, superb value for money and all in two speaker units, just add a digital or analogue source, e.g. Airport Express.

emotion-21.gif
sound great and so simple.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts