need advice on playing music thru home cinema

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
not sure where to post this one but here goes

am weighing up different amps/5.1 set ups and playing music thru it will be important. i would prefer to be able to either link either my ipod or itunes to the set up.

am considering purchasing apple tv to sync with my itunes (although it is a bit pricey for the larger storage version - 160gb?).

my question is how would apple tv fit into a set up - does it just connect to the home cinema amp via hdmi, display on the tv and play thru your speakers?

also do you guys think this is the best way of doing this or would you recommend an ipod dock for the amp?

any thoughts would be appreciated - thanks!

PS dont actually know what amp i might be getting yet so its all theoretical - also i wouldn't use apple tv for tv as i have sky

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Apple TV can connect to your amp through the HDMI cable - your amp would need to also be connected to the TV via HDMI to pass on the video.

If you're only looking at music though, if you're willing to keep your PC / Mac switched on, you could look into an Airport Express and an iPod Touch - this would cost slightly more than the Apple TV, but would allow you to control your music from the iPod rather than having to have the TV on.

Either way, if you're not happy with the DAC within your AV amp, both of these solutions allows you to add an external DAC into the solution (like the Beresford or DacMagic for example) which will provide not only a better sound than an iPod dock, but will offer a lot more flexibility.

dangalf

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Hi Professor - thanks for the reply

to be honest i dont know too much about DACS apart from they make digitally stored music sound better. how would it fit into a system consisting of apple tv - amp - tv - 5.1 speakers?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
It should be that you'd connect the Apple TV into the DAC via the optical output and then the DAC connects into the amp for sound. Meanwhile, you'd also have the HDMI port connected to the amp / TV for video.

However, we do need to first ensure the Apple TV can output audio via optical as well as video via HDMI - JD, are you around?!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts