need advice on buying a hi-fi system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I have been using an £80 pair of Alesis 320 USB studio monitors which are compatible with my pc. But they don't have any umph, so I have decided to upgrade and I have been thinking about Hi-Fi speakers (Budget = £500 to £800. Only thing is after research I am even more confused with what to get! there are all these home cinema systems, floor standing speakers, book shelf speakers I am just overwhelmed.

I am basically looking for a couple of speakers with a good sub which I could hook up to my pc, I listen to a wide range of music, but I would like to mainly play techno, trance and especially garage style music, hence why I really want a sub.

If anyone could point me in the right direction, would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
buy this months issue of the mag, there's a round up of active speakers.

something like this might be ideal?

edit: aahh, i see you want a sub as well. i think i would still go for the above, and spend the sub money on a dac. something like this.

malthus80

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
Im guesing you want active speakers or would you be interested in a stereo amp plus speakers and sub. I reckon the dac idea above could be a good idea too.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the tip - I will def look into those speakers.

What you think of these btw: http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=190

they are quite a bit cheaper, only thing is I don't know if they are Active and can be connected to a PC.

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
evilempire96:
Cheers for the tip - I will def look into those speakers.

What you think of these btw: http://www.exceptional-av.co.uk/product.php?fdProductId=190

they are quite a bit cheaper, only thing is I don't know if they are Active and can be connected to a PC.

These are not active. If you buy these you will need an amplifier and a dac to get hi fi sound.

A

Anonymous

Ah right, ok thanks for taking a look, I guess I gotta get active ones, might get the what hi-fi magazine today see if it has some good recommendations.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
hurry, new (Jul) issue is out, so you may not be able to get the Jun one - that's the one you want to see the active speakers round up.

A

Anonymous

I just got the June issue, was a load of $HIT, nothing about speakers in it. Thanks to whoever recommended me to buy the magazine, complete waste of money.

Still got no idea what active speakers to get
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

Try Genelec, Audioengine or, at the expensive end, the AVI Adm 9.1s.

A

Anonymous

cheers for the tip, the Audioengine A5 looks like a nice set...but I dunno how it compares to say a good set of KRK or Mackie studio monitors. Also I don't think it comes with a sub and I def need a sub this time round

A

Anonymous

then you must have bought something other than June What Hi Fi because as mentioned earlier there is 100% for sure a group test on active speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts