Neat Motive 2

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi there all.

Ive been offered a pair of 2013 black ash Motive 2 ex- dem's for £911 from my local dealer.

Does anyone know when they stopped producing this model before the SX model replaced it.

The reason I ask is I know the original Motive 2 were £980ish when this magazine reviewed them back in 2008 & I would have thought I would have been offered more of a reduction on these obsolete, ex-dem versions.

Or am I looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Any info would be appreciated.

NMANo1 said:
Hi there all.

Ive been offered a pair of 2013 black ash Motive 2 ex- dem's for £911 from my local dealer.

Does anyone know when they stopped producing this model before the SX model replaced it.

The reason I ask is I know the original Motive 2 were £980ish when this magazine reviewed them back in 2008 & I would have thought I would have been offered more of a reduction on these obsolete, ex-dem versions.

Or am I looking a gift horse in the mouth?

Any info would be appreciated.

The SX2's were reviewed in 2014 so I guess somewhere around then for discontinuing. The Motive 2's have been around since 2006. The last rrp I can see for them was £1200 and they have gone for £450 - 600 second-hand.

Personally I would try and knock that dealer down a fair bit more if ex demo rather than new old stock as they are second-hand to all intents an purposes. He will have trouble shifting them at that price when the SX2's can be had for £1395. Nobody wants a cluttered shop. :)

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Black Ash is so ... meehh

Personally I would offer £700 if they are mint/boxed. Thing is, there are so many nice/good speakers about these days, just look at Quad's new range with ribbons.

Nice speakers though.

drummerman said:
Black Ash is so ... meehh

Personally I would offer £700 if they are mint/boxed. Thing is, there are so many nice/good speakers about these days, just look at Quad's new range with ribbons.

Nice speakers though.

Totally agree, especially about the black ash. I think £700 would be a very reasonable offer in the circumstances.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I know Black Ash! I love my speakers but so regret plumping for the Black Ash finish when I bought them.

Those Neat Motive 2 are nice speakers though, I heard a pair when demoing a few years ago. Knock out a big sound for a smallish speaker. That seems quite a high price though. Look at these for example

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
Hmm £911 is an odd amount to discount down to - i wonder why not £900 ?

Anyway they are great speakers but the SX2 are better. Personally i would want to save up for a new or eventually wait for an ex demo SX2 pair to come available. I have owned Neat Motive 3's for over 7 years and had a demo of the 2's at one stage about 4 years ago. I never heard the 2SE (which came out at least 2 years ago) . The original 2's were still available until this year (i was still tempted by them before the SX2 came out) but selling off my 3's were worth doing to get the SX2. My wife wanted to move to small floorstanders and i wanted a tad more bass, but the SX2 also presents the vocal more clearly and is a touch less shiny on the treble. I love them.

I sold my 3's this year 2nd hand for £500, so £700 for the 2's sounds ok to me, maybe a bit more if i really wanted them in that colour. One trouble is that speaker prices (new) keep increasing. I only bought my SX2 before Christmas at £1250 and now they are £1479 in some shops. Over the years i owned the 3's they went from £750 up to £995 i think RRP. This is happening to a number of brands such as PMC, Proac etc and is the general trend for this quality of speaker.

Ah and I prefer the normal oak colour too.

I realise that sometimes we have to stick to a budget limit so check out Audio Express where they have new but cosmetic seconds of the 2's for £700 - so it seems to be the benchmark price now if you can live with a minor dent. I doubt the 2's would dissappoint you.

DIB said:
I know Black Ash! I love my speakers but so regret plumping for the Black Ash finish when I bought them.

Those Neat Motive 2 are nice speakers though, I heard a pair when demoing a few years ago. Knock out a big sound for a smallish speaker. That seems quite a high price though. Look at these for example

Not bad DIB considering the minor blemishes. So around £700 for mint three year old ex-demo isn't such a bad figure.

NMANo1

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
Hi chaps. Forgot to check back on this thread.

Eventually, like Oliver, I asked the mean old dealerman if I could have some more off the £911. "No can do, we've already taken off a substantial amount & they are in mint condition" says he. "They're nearly 3 years old, would you accept £750", I reasoned.... "Sorry I can't, I mean that's over £300 I've discounted". At the time, I checked the serial number - year, they sold at £1278.

I offered £800..... "Nope"...."£850"?....."Sorry, the price is £911, give me £910". Cheeky nazi fecker !

Being a bit of a chancer, I asked him to at least through in the Joan Baez album I listened to when I had been auditioning the speakers. "Sorry, I can't .... I could sell you it"? I said thanks but no thanks. :(

I gave him the FULL £911.00 & left the shop happy with the speakers & swearing to myself I will never be back. My usual shop doesn't stock Neat or I would have went there, like always, as they are the opposite from this git's shop. That shop is friendly, welcoming, accommodating & appreciate your custom.

** It has been suggested I could have bought a discounted pair for £700 from the site Audio Affair. I tried to order a pair but this is just a 'dangling carrot' to get you to surf their site. None in stock.....Tosspots !

Oh well, at least I love the speakers. It's been said many times before but they do seem a perfect match for the Nait amp. Can't believe the monsta, monsta bass that these little boxes produce. Solid, controlled, natural bass at that. Think I will be keeping these.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts