Neat Iotas.... owners opinions please

womble72

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Been looking at reviews of these little wonders but not many owners reviews around. Does anyone on WHFF own these and would care to give me your opinion as to how they sound. Are they suitable for bass heavy dance tracks?

I've seen some system deals featuring these speakers but what amp/cd or all in one system (budget of £1000) would go well with the little Iotas.

Paul.

I would be curious about this too, specifically the iotas with the marantz cr603. They sounded amazing at the Bristol show, but they were paired with some very expensive kit.

ngibbs

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
womble72 said:
Been looking at reviews of these little wonders but not many owners reviews around. Does anyone on WHFF own these and would care to give me your opinion as to how they sound. Are they suitable for bass heavy dance tracks?

I've seen some system deals featuring these speakers but what amp/cd or all in one system (budget of £1000) would go well with the little Iotas.

+2 I've been thinking about getting these for my kitchen. Only problem is they would be in free space, not up against a wall, which I know they weren't ideally designed for. Any comments/ feedback would be most welcome.

Juzzie Wuzzie

Brilliant speaker. Was listening all day on Sunday (no fatigue) and thinking to myself ... "for such small boxes they are just great". My setup isn't ideal - basic DAC, streaming internet radio, Iotas hard against a concrete wall. That said, I think the sound is fantastic.

Womble - specifically on bass - I don't think you're going to have an issue unless your relativity is disjointed.

Happy to demonstrate in the EC1, London!

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
I would be curious about this too, specifically the iotas with the marantz cr603. They sounded amazing at the Bristol show, but they were paired with some very expensive kit.

Just logged on to ask pretty much the same question. The MA BR1s I have were great with the DM38, but think my 603 could do with something a little better. MA RX1s were on my mind till I started reading reviews about the Iotas. Now I'm that state of 'uncertainty'. :?

Rich.

Paul.

Interesting. I have BR1s as my rears in my home cinema setup at the mo, was thinking of buying BX-FX for rears freeing up the BR1s to pair up with a cr603, then getting Iotas when I could afford it. Like the idea of RX2s, but they require fiddly placement. How are the BR1s working? Noticed Superfi are doing CR603 + BX2 for £599, tempting as well!

how do you rate the BR1s with the 603?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Iotas outperform speakers like BR1's as far as quality is concerned, but would lose out on volume capability. Obviously they won't go mega deep due to the laws of physics, but against a solid wall they're very impressive for their size. There will be other speakers much better suited to bass heavy music for the money, but they're going to be bigger.

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Paul Hobbs said:
how do you rate the BR1s with the 603?

I've owned BR1s (with a little Fatman iTube home 'office' system 5 years ago) and, although they were admirable little speakers, the M-CR603 deserves better.

Think I'll have to agree with Chebby on this. My BR1s were great with the DM38, but I'm sure I can get better out of the 603 with a speaker upgrade. Probably going to be the RX1s which I'll opt for, largely due to easy availability with SSAV and Richer being only 10 miles away in Bristol. I am a little concerned about the weight of them though as they will be mounted on wall brackets and are substantially heavier than the BR1s.

Also, not been able to find a local vendor who has the Iotas to have a look at. WHF is not the only publication to give the Iotas a great review which is what started to make me think about them.

Rich

Paul.

Hmm. Can't afford 603 + Iotas at same time so the BR1s would be for six months to a year (depending whether something breaks or something shiny catches my eye). Think as a short term measure I would be better off getting a 603 + BX2? The deals are so cheap, I'm sure I could get my money back on the BX2s.

(Huge apologies to the OP for the thread jack by the way)

A

Anonymous

Hi

While I have had mine for a couple of months, powered by a new Roksan Kandy k2, and fed by an Original CA Dacmagic via Airport Express. I have only just begun what seems like a very long and arduous process of running them in. Neat suggest in the instructions a run in time of 200 hrs. If you work that out, thats 5hrs a day for 40 days!!! At higher volumes with bass heavy tracks!!

At the moment I have probably ran them in for 40hrs... my wife thinks much longer! So far the sound with acoustic music and vocals is extremley good, soundstage very impressive, but as soon as any bass kicks in the whole thing is a mess, the sound becomes very ill defined, leaden and boxy. So I will continue to run them in everyday with a loop of Massive attack etc, to soften the Mid/Bass driver up in the hope everything becomes more musical. There is no doubt great potential but at the moment I cant stand being in the same room! Shame when the whole set up has cost nearly 2K.

Have any other owners of these speakers had similar issues? Or running in of speakers in general?

It would be great to hear your comments.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well I was in the process of moving house with a larger lounge that just fallen through!

Found another house that ticks every box - a beautiful restored victorian terrace - however the room where I will have my hif will be 11ft x 11ft and speakers will have to go on shelves against a back wall!

I will try the RS1s on the shelf - but seems the Iotas will be the ideal choice!

How are people getting on with them?

Im sure they would match the Brio R very well!

I dont want masses of bass at high volumes - just a musical speaker like the RS1

cheers

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Pauldosteo said:
Hi

While I have had mine for a couple of months, powered by a new Roksan Kandy k2, and fed by an Original CA Dacmagic via Airport Express. I have only just begun what seems like a very long and arduous process of running them in. Neat suggest in the instructions a run in time of 200 hrs. If you work that out, thats 5hrs a day for 40 days!!! At higher volumes with bass heavy tracks!!

At the moment I have probably ran them in for 40hrs... my wife thinks much longer! So far the sound with acoustic music and vocals is extremley good, soundstage very impressive, but as soon as any bass kicks in the whole thing is a mess, the sound becomes very ill defined, leaden and boxy. So I will continue to run them in everyday with a loop of Massive attack etc, to soften the Mid/Bass driver up in the hope everything becomes more musical. There is no doubt great potential but at the moment I cant stand being in the same room! Shame when the whole set up has cost nearly 2K.

Have any other owners of these speakers had similar issues? Or running in of speakers in general?

It would be great to hear your comments.

i had "kinda" same problem with the Dynaudios Excite X12, loooong burn in process, they did sound great just out of the box, but they need to run at medium/low volume due their voice coil. But worth the wait! Oh boy, i've a deep and fast bass, infact they have a killer bass for the size, tons of detail, and a silky, soft mid range.

They are a delight to listen to!

A friend of mine come to dinner and we were listenig to music at very low volume 1/2 o'clock and he ask me the sub is on, isn't it?

I said NO, it's off, and he got up to check the sub, and said, no way that bass can be just from those little boxes!

I don't get tierd to listen to music through the Dyns, the Brio R/ Dyns X12 combo always find a way to put a big smile on my face every time!

I really liked to see more Dynaudios owners to express their feeling about this very especial speaker brand!

:cheers:

TRENDING THREADS