Near-field vinyl listening for under £1000? 2010i w/ PM6004?

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
Right now I'm leaning towards:

Q Acoustics 2020i £165

Stands £80

Rega RP1 Performance £300

Marantz PM6004 £200

Anybody have experience with this partnering? Any advice on speaker cable? Any alternatives?

I will not be able to demo any of these unfortunately.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I would consider the Project Carbon TT which comes with a decent cartridge for £299. Speaker cable I would get some Van Damme OFC 4mm which is about £5 pm.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I have Marantz cr 603 project phono box and technics sl1200.........obviously you wldnt go down the technics route but in the Marantz you.d have a complete system in one box with the same Marantz sound plus a small phono box........the rega or project would be excellent choices ............mine sounds lovely with vinyl but have a listen to a 603 with a phono stage and compare it to a separate amp ........good luck

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Nicky-Distance said:
Right now I'm leaning towards:

Q Acoustics 2020i £165

Stands £80

Rega RP1 Performance £300

Marantz PM6004 £200

Anybody have experience with this partnering? Any advice on speaker cable? Any alternatives?

I will not be able to demo any of these unfortunately.

As good as them 2020is are I think the marantz amp is more than capable of running better speakers. I would forget the performance pack, use copper speaker wire and be looking at £400+ speakers.

I will one day bring my marantz amp downstairs and run my motive 2,s with it. Then maybe ill be able to back up the statement above....!

Nicky-Distance

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
What would you recommend for around 400? I was looking at Neat Iotas but they are a bit too much. Keep in mind they'll be a little over a meter away.

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
I haven't demoed speakers for years so can't recommended any i don't own mate, iv no hesitation in recomending neat speakers blind thou, i love them and think the amp is more than capable of running them. I have the MA bx2's running with the marantz, it sounds pretty damm good and they are better speakers than the 2020 but can't help thinking the amps better of even more. The 2020's sound lost after about 10.30-11 on the amp. I too have my marantz system (as my sig) nearfield in my office all stuck on a heavy cabinet, I could be getting better from it and if your thinking of neats then I will try to find time to give the marantz amp a run on my mine for you, it's something I wanna try anyway as my 20years experience with marantz is there budget stuff gives most mid range stuff a run for its money.

trj007

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
Nicky-Distance said:
What would you recommend for around 400? I was looking at Neat Iotas but they are a bit too much. Keep in mind they'll be a little over a meter away.

Gas, electricity, ......?

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
im assuming my marantz cr 603 is a similar presentation to the marantz amp you mention.......paired with my cm1s the sound is deep tight and tuneful ..........a very nice presentation certainly the happiest ive been in years with my set up

letsavit2

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
Nicky,

Connected the marantz to my neat motives today. It drives them well and the sound is better no doubt. The marantz amp does sound a little bright against my naim and the naim does instruments/sounds separation so much better, the good news for you is this is less apparent on the rega and more so with CD. Also more so with dance music than pink floyd. My rega has a 95e cartridge so maybe this is the weak link I need to look at upgrading but for you its not a huge upgrade over the rp1 in all honestly.

My feeling is the marantz is too good for the 2020i's, deserves at least the MA bx2's but could be at home running the better, so £400 on speakers is worthy of the amp. Think my neat motives turn the table around in they deserve better amplication to sound there best.

T

the record spot

Definitely give the Tannoy DC4s that I use a run. Spend less on stands to free up some budget, they're around £249-299 in Richer Sounds (originally £349 at full price). Bought mine about 18 months ago and have been nothing less than impressed by them. For listening in a nearfield setting, they take some beating.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest (second hand);

Cyrus 8 (perhaps vs2), CD8x (or CD6se) ... Musical Fidelity V-DACII if you dont need a cd player, Usher S520, Technics SL10 (or 7), Audio Technica/Shibata cartridge/stylus, Nad or Rega phono pre-amp.

I'd also include a half decent headphone with the above. Very handy and the cyrus has a good headphone amp.

Slightly different but probably no less impressive; AVI ADM9, Technics SL-7/10 Audio technica/Shibata and Rega/Nad phono pre-amp

It'll push the £1k to its limits but probably much better than your suggestion (imho). Small, stylish and ideal for near distance.

regards

PS. There are a couple of SL-7 (none of which are mine) on the bay at the moment. Go for it would be my suggestion.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts