Native Resolutions

Douglas9

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
In a recent post (1080i v 1080p ) I asked about the benefits of upgrading my HD ready TV to a full HD set just to allow the viewing of 1080p pictures from a Blue-ray player, and opinions varied. I now have a more basic question - since my present set's native resolution is 1366 x 768 (and not 1920 x 1080 ) would the SKY 1080i picture improve at all on the higher native resolution sets ?

Views welcomed, Douglas9.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I don't understand your thinking on that. 1080i should in theory look better on a 1080p set since you're keeping the resolution the same, just converting the interlaced signal to a progressive one. Of course getting a Full HD set won't guarantee a better picture as a lot will depend on the capabilities of the set, but certainly in terms of resolution, a Full HD set has the correct resolution to display 1080i so there is less scaling.

Don't forget of course that most of the broadcasts are still SD, so these will need more scaling than your HD Ready set, but again, the capabilities of the TV will determine how good the picture is rather than the resolution.ÿ

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
In theory when watching a HD broadcast the picture should be better on a Full HD TV over a HD Ready one as there is no need for extra scaling (only de-interlacing) as the incoming 1080i signals pixel count matches that of the 1080 pannel, as where on a HD Ready set the 1080i signal is down scaled and de-interlaced to fit the resolution of the TV.

Where a HD Ready set can have the upper hand over a Full HD set is when it is displaying SD material as there is less upscaling to do, so generally a HD Ready set will display SD with less picture inperfections than a Full HD set, but this is quite a general discription as some sets proform better than others with up/down scaling.

The results are also IMHO very dependant upon your screen size with up-scaled SD normally looking better on smaller sets over larger ones, but on the other side of the coin again IMHO a set with a native 1080 resolution is better for 1080i/P material at larger sizes as it is at these larger sizes where your eye can spot the differance between a HD Ready set and a Full HD set.

TRENDING THREADS