NAS Ripper 2

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi again,

Thought I would start a new thread on this, I am looking at the following 3 options

LIV Juke http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIV-Juke-2Tb-Vortexbox-Ripping-Music-Server-Sonos-Squeezebox-Smart-TV-/261079402974?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2752386068474729150%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D230865515772%26

LIV Zen http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LIV-Zen-2Tb-Vortexbox-CD-Ripping-Music-Server-NAS-for-Naim-Linn-Sonos-Squeezebox-/260983024598?pt=UK_Computing_Servers&hash=item3cc3ccebd6

Vortexbox http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320992355002?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

To me they all seem to do much the same but this is an area I am no expert in.
I will be speaking to LIV today to see why the Zen is more than the Juke and what justifies the extra cash.
The vortexbox I have seen refered to here with good reviews.

I am not looking to use a seperate NAs and ripping through my laptop nor am I looking for any other software loading, hardware configuring option.
I have seen other NAS rippers which cost nearly twice as much but find the cost hard to justify at that level.

Does anyone know or can see what the differences between these are or have any good input regarding which one I should go for, I am groping around a bit in the dark here .

I will be using with a SBT and playing through a dac, probably mdac but not bought yet.

As ever any views, thoughts hugely appreciated,

Thanks again.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
in essence, they are all the same - a basic atom based pc.

The price difference between the Juke and the Zen is that the Zen has much more expensive case and an external power supply.

So long as you remember that there is absolutely nothing special or "audiophile" (not that there ever really can be audiophile network storage!) about these boxes. They are just standard pc's with Vortexbox loaded on them.

People are not allowed to charge for the vortexbox software itself as it's GPL, and to be honest, most of these PC's are put together at not much more than cost price, so you're defintely not getting ripped off in that respect - I've seen some vortexbox untis selling for over 1k, when you can put together the exact same box for almost a quarter of that price.

As for which one you should pick, It's up to you.

The more expensive one will probably be quieter due to the external psu, other than that, it's more of a case of which one you like the look of.

hope this helps.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thats brilliant, thanks very much, the guy at Liv Concepts said the same, very open about it,I must say they seem very good people to deal with in all conversations I have had with them.

Is now just time to loosen the grip on the credit card, eeek.

Just waiting a new one to come through so at least get 0% finance for 6 months.

Thanks again

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
no worries.

Glad they were open about it all, sounds like you shouldn't have too many problems (if any) with them then if they are that open from the off, it's good to hear in this day and age :)

Good luck :)

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I think I'm settling for the Zen Ripper, if anyone has one intrigued to hear their views.

The next step, my biggest fear, is at some point it might die and I need a back up device, anything anyone can recommend ?

They, LIV, do advertise a device on their site but thinking there must be many standard products on the market that can be used for this.

As ever all advice gratefully recieved and hugely appreciated.

Thanks.

jamesrfisher

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
I bought a vortexbox from the vortexbox.co.uk site a year ago, very pleased with it, the software just works. They were very helpful, as they had Ben having some issues with the couriers they used they delivered it themselves on a Sunday, good customer service.

As for backup I bought an external 2 terabyte hard drive and plugged it in visa USB, the Vortexbox software lets me access the pc from my mac in the web rouser, a couple of licks and it backs it up, very easy.

Have fun with it all, the Squeezebox plus Vortexbox software using iPeng as a remote has really changed how we listen to music, except Sunday afternoons and evenings when it's vinyl night!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
More ways to spend some money? Goodie! I guess these are purely for music. No photos nor video. I like the idea of automatic ripping but is this their main purpose. New area for me but interested. I guess I would like one able to rip bd or dvd and output hdmi. Mmmmm .. need to do some more homework

Shanka said:
Hi, Thanks for the replies, brilliant,so one of these would do the job,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-External-Desktop/dp/B003IPC21Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350813530&sr=8-2

Does it have to be configured, what does that mean, it says the one LIV supply is, maybe they all are, the one they sell looks the same as this, sorry for being a bit brainless on this.

Thanks again

I don't think it needs any special configuration. The seller has been quite honest with you. Just tell him that you already have an external hard drive, & he can advise you on this.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, Thanks for the replies, brilliant,so one of these would do the job,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Western-Digital-Elements-External-Desktop/dp/B003IPC21Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1350813530&sr=8-2

Does it have to be configured, what does that mean, it says the one LIV supply is, maybe they all are, the one they sell looks the same as this, sorry for being a bit brainless on this.

Thanks again

I have one of these (1TB), except I only use it for back up.

I feel a little like the blind leading the blind here with advice, as this is an area I'm not condident in....anyway, I think you are better with a NAS (ripping or otherwise).

In my situation, it's like a central music hub with everbody's music on it, and because it's UPnP, anyone with a device that supports this, has access to it ie.most of the kids gaming devices etc....it's certainly very flexible and I believe a better way forward.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

This is just to back up the stuff on the NAS ripper in case it dies or something, at least still have a spare , I really have fear of technical failures esp. if I am not sure what I am doing.

Got to see what upnp means/does, I don't think it effects me but you got me worried.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi, This is just to back up the stuff on the NAS ripper in case it dies or something, at least still have a spare , I really have fear of technical failures esp. if I am not sure what I am doing. Got to see what upnp means/does, I don't think it effects me but you got me worried.

Don't let me worry you - I worry myself far more!

The only reason that keep going on about it, is to make sure you work through and understand all the options. I believe I have a certain empathy, as I have been exactly where you are, but have the advantage of having friends who work in IT, as well as a helpful dealer who held my hand through this.

UPnP stands for User Plug 'an Play, and makes it easy for a variety of devices to connect to, and control it. I also believe that having your storage attached to your network has advantages.

I hate computers and see them as a means to an end, and when I set up my system, I went for a ripping NAS, as it made everything simple....post in the CD, and 4 minutes later it's spat out, ripped, logged, tagged etc.

What comes easily to the younger computer literate folk is neither intuitive nor easy for me to grasp....and I know I have a mental block about it. I keep being told "it's easy, all you do is......", and what follows is a language that makes sense to everyone but me.

If the above describes how you find this whole area, keep it simple and get a ripping NAS that's easy to use and takes the torture out of it - well that's how I see it anyway.

Cno

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Have finally taken the plunge and ordered the Zen NAS Ripper, Nuno at LIV has been very helpful and they managed to sort out selling me the 2TB back up in a good bundle deal.

Next week I start the ripping streaming process which may be a little daunting but I am intrigued as to see how it all works and if it is a total disaster then there is a return option.
I do think I will get/need a lot of support from the guys at LIV as they seem so keen for me to make this work as easily and painlessly as possible.

I will be using my SBT initially to see how things go and then have to make the harder decision about a DAC, the Audiolab still looks the best option but am now just seeing what else is available since I did my last demo's.

Thanks for all the help and advice from all those who responded on this and the previous thread,

Thanks again.

Julian_b

Jun 14, 2008
Visit site
Hi RobinKidderminster - just picked up on your thread and thought I'd let you know (if you haven't discovered already) that the Vortexbox Appliance device rips DVD'S as well as CD's - the former can be in glorious MKV files and the latter in FLAC, ALAC (and a range of mp3 file res options too). Fabulous device - unfortunately I've filled my 2 TB already......

TRENDING THREADS