NaimUniti and Floorstanders

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dear all,

I've really got my mind set on a NaimUniti and I would really like to combine them with a nice pair of "mature" floorstanders. However, I am not sure what the Uniti is capable of, in terms of driving larger speaker units. My budget lies somewhere around £2000 per pair.

At the moment, the usual WH-suspects seem all very attractive to me (Spendor A5/A6, Neat Motive 6,PMC GB1i), but perhaps some of them don't match well with the Uniti. Or maybe there are other suitable options that I've overlooked.

Looking forward to hear from you!

Regards,

Berry

PS: Trying all speaker-NaimUniti combinations isn't feasible, because the dealers in my region don't offer them. That's why I want to make a shortlist before I go out test-listening.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Probably the best match for something like the Uniti would be one of the Neat Motive 2se's. They're a little easier to drive than some and also suit lower volume levels too. The Rega range of speakers will also be worth looking into as well as they're an easy speaker to get on with as far as amps are concerned. You could also look at the ProAc Studio D140.2, and maybe the D18's, but I'd have to hear them with the Uniti to make sure it'll be up to the job.

What sort of volume levels do you like? What size is your room?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
About a year ago I popped in to my local Audio-T for a 'NaimUniti day' being hosted by Jason Gould of Naim HQ.

He had chosen the PMC GB1i speakers to demonstrate the NaimUniti.

They sounded superb.

I have also heard Rega RS3s (about £700) with the 'Uniti - on another occasion - and they were a very good match. (I have also seen Rega RS5s recommended.)

I have even seen people praising Harbeth Super HL5s and Compact 7-ES3s with the 'Uniti. (Although they are not floorstanders and you may struggle to find a local Harbeth dealer.)

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
If you do demo a 'Uniti with the PMC GB1i, be sure to also sample the setup with a 100% copper, oxygen-free speaker cable of decent thickness (ie the type recommended by PMC). The merest hint of silver in the mix could make the combo sound 'bright', depending on your view...

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for the quick responses!

The room I will use the NaimUniti in, is my living room. It's 18x18 feet (5,5x5,5 meters), but it has a walk-through to the kitchen of appr. 10 feet (3 meters). I must admit that most of the times I will probably play it on a moderate volume level, not too loud...

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I have the Uniti and have used it to drive the ProAc D18 with excellent results. (The Uniti is normally used with a pair of small PMC DB1i speakers in my study but I switched them around to see how they coped with my main system which uses Naim pre- and power amps).

The ProAcs have 88 dB sensitivity so you'll get decent volume levels without troubling the Uniti too much (Uniti volume setting around 45-48 for decently recorded CDs or Apple Lossless files is sufficient). I honestly can't find too much fault with the sound, provided you're not after high volume settings. It's clear, tight and crisp - of course not up to the standard when the speakers are driven by my pre-power combo but certainly not weak or thin by any stretch.

Best of all, I believe the ProAcs could easily accomodate a Uniti upgrade, which typically would involve adding a power amp.

Hope this helps.

Naxos

Oct 31, 2008
Visit site
If you're listening to Neat products at that price point, do also try to check out the Elite SX - they rarely seem to get a mention, but they won the day for me when auditioning recently, and are a great match for Naim.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts