Naim v marantz

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

As I am just starting out in hifi I wondered if you could help me.at the moment I have a marantz pm6002 amp which I am quite happy with. Then I heard my uncles naim and it blew me away. This got me wanting to buy a naim hifi. His system was high end stuff costing many thousands.

My question is if I had a naim nac 112 pre and a naim nap 150 would it sound any better than my marantz

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Did you use your uncle's Naim amp with your speakers? If not could you do so? Or even bring your Marantz over to his house and try it with his speakers? That way it'll be clearer what part the Naim plays in the overall sound, and whether or not it'd be worth buying one to use with your speakers.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
No need to spend that much on a Naim power/pre to better the Marantz.

A Nait 5i or Nait XS will do the job.

If you wand to spend out a bit, then try the new NaimUniti 2. (Whole system in one box.)

How much can you spend and what do you need?

Fair enough question, but it's a bit like saying would a Porsche go faster than my Focus. Well, yes, but so might an Audi or a Ferrari. They would all blow you away!

Naim make some great products and have a particular sound. Many other makes would have impressed you in much the same way.

As others have said, if you can detail all your compenents, room size and musical preferences, along with a budget, you will get some relevant answers.

A

Anonymous

Thank you all for your replys. In answer to your questions I can't try my uncles gear as he is in Ireland. At the moment I have a marantz pm6002 amp, marantz sa7003 cd player and a pair of monitor audio br5 speakers. I have just purchased a naim nac 112 pre amp and am looking for a nap 150 power amp. My room is only small 13ft x 10ft my music taste is anything from crass to classical

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Naim make good amps and I can understand why many people are happy to buy them. I wouldn't buy Naim as even if I went to the top of their ladder with a NAC 522 / NAP 500 I'd still have something that sounds worse with my sources than my £150 Urei amps.

stevieg330

May 6, 2005
Visit site
Hi,

I have just done something similar to what you're contemplating.

I had a Marantz PM7200KI, which was a great amp but since I got the Monitor Audio RX6 speakers I felt that the sound was a little too warm for my tastes so I sold it and have just bought a Naim NAC112X and NAP150.

I don' t know how your PM6002 compares to the PM7200KI, having never heard one, but the Naim kit is a lot more punchy and brighter than my amp. Theres more detail and the bass is much faster so I'm very happy with the switch.

I've been told that the NAC112 and the 'X' benefit greatly from having a separate power supply like the flatcap 2 rather than running it from the NAP150.

I gather that the straight NAC112 has a smoother, more laid back sound than the 112X so I guess it depends on where your preferences lie.

The 'X' also has a couple of RCA inputs which is handy if you don't have any din cables.

If you want any more info then let me know

Kind Regards

Steve

Juzzie Wuzzie

I collect my Naim Nait 5i-2 on the weekend. In the new week, it will feed into some Neat IOTAs, and be fed by an Apple Airport Express. Will let you know what I think (compared to my AV amplifier, and in general). Really looking forward to this foray!

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
fc united of manchester said:
Hi all,

As I am just starting out in hifi I wondered if you could help me.at the moment I have a marantz pm6002 amp which I am quite happy with. Then I heard my uncles naim and it blew me away. This got me wanting to buy a naim hifi. His system was high end stuff costing many thousands.

My question is if I had a naim nac 112 pre and a naim nap 150 would it sound any better than my marantz

Thanks

I do not get this. In less than 4 hours time you manage to purchase a nac 112 pre anyway. So did you demo this to see if it did suit you and your speakers and room? Or have you rashly purchased something that you want people to enforce your 'expectation bias' when you come to listen to the new system?

:?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for you input Steve, you sound very happy with the swap hope I feel the same.

Hope you enjoy your new amp juzzle let me know what you think as I was contemplating a bait 5.

Relocated, you are probably right I am closing the gate after the horse has bolted. I found a nac 112 for £160 and thought sod it

A

Anonymous

Juzzie Wuzzie said:
I collect my Naim Nait 5i-2 on the weekend. In the new week, it will feed into some Neat IOTAs, and be fed by an Apple Airport Express. Will let you know what I think (compared to my AV amplifier, and in general). Really looking forward to this foray!

I bought one a few weeks ago. Hope you enjoy your's as much as I'm enjoying mine.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
fc united of manchester said:
Thanks for you input Steve, you sound very happy with the swap hope I feel the same.

Hope you enjoy your new amp juzzle let me know what you think as I was contemplating a bait 5.

Relocated, you are probably right I am closing the gate after the horse has bolted. I found a nac 112 for £160 and thought sod it

Ah the joys/pitfalls of the internet. I trust that you will enjoy your purchase, if you don't feel the Marantz is beaten then by the reaction of others you should be able to push the Naim along, maybe even at a profit.

Good luck with hi-fi and always remember that you are buying gear [mostly] to please yourself so try not to let others tell you your choices are wrong. It is your money and ears after all.

:cheer:

TRENDING THREADS