naim unitiqute advice

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
i have been offered a brand new naim unitqute (original version ) for around 600........very tempted by this but i still need a cd player..........so two questions.....will it be much better sounding than my cr603 plus am i able to connect my cr603 to the naim and just use the cd player section ?

jjbomber

audioaddict said:
i have been offered a brand new naim unitqute (original version ) for around 600........very tempted by this but i still need a cd player..........so two questions.....will it be much better sounding than my cr603 plus am i able to connect my cr603 to the naim and just use the cd player section ?

The Marantz does not have a digital output, so the CDs would still use the in-built DAC of the cr603. I wouldn't expect that much of an improvement. You would connect it via the analogue outputs of the Marantz to the analogue input of the Unitiqute.

If you mainly listen to streaming, radio, etc, then I would go for it. If you are nearly all CDs as a source, then I would pass on the opportunity.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
hi jj, well i liked the sound of the unitilite a while ago and thought it offered maybe a more grown up sound compared to mine and was told the unitiqute sounded just the same so thought it would be a good upgrade, plus the options of further improvements, ie power amps etc..........i thought maybe in time i could just connect a separate cd player to it and i,d still have a minimilist system that was higher quality

jjbomber

audioaddict said:
hi jj, well i liked the sound of the unitilite .........i thought maybe in time i could just connect a separate cd player to it and i,d still have a minimilist system that was higher quality

The UnitiLite has a CD player built in. The UnitiQute doesn't. With the UnitiQute, if you are using a CD player as a transport and sending a digital signal to the UnitiQute, then, yes, you will notice a bigger improvement.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yeah i know the unitilite has a cd player..........any ideas what sort of player would be a good match.........nothing to pricey mind..........maybe a marantz cd 6005 ?

jjbomber

audioaddict said:
yeah i know the unitilite has a cd player..........any ideas what sort of player would be a good match.........nothing to pricey mind..........maybe a marantz cd 6005 ?

The best value for money 'CD players' are the old Arcam DVD players without HDMI. You can pick up a £1,000 unit for less than £100 these days. The Naim DVD player also goes 'cheap' for the same reason. They are yesterday's technology for DVD players but brilliant machines for CD playback.

rainsoothe

jjbomber said:
audioaddict said:

The best value for money 'CD players' are the old Arcam DVD players without HDMI. You can pick up a £1,000 unit for less than £100 these days. The Naim DVD player also goes 'cheap' for the same reason. They are yesterday's technology for DVD players but brilliant machines for CD playback.

If you can find one, I guess it's ok. But you could also get a decent budget Bluray player with digital out and use the digital ins on the UQ - just look at whatever Sony/Pioneer/Panasonic/Samsung offering there is, and chose the cheapest one with optical or coax out. Then, it'll use the dac in the UQ.

I just got a UQ2 and it's brilliant - and even more with Nap100. Thing is, if you don't require the minor improvements the UQ2 has over the UQ1, yosu could just upgrade it with a Nap100, no need to change the entire thing - and it will take the sound to the next level (and there's plenty Nap100 to be had second hand as well). Partner with sensitive speakers like Focal Aria 906.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts