Naim Unitilite audition....

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
... And I ordered one! :-D

took the 602's along to sound organisation this aft and Bob set up for us. Absolutely fantastic bit of kit!

hope build time isn't too long!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
yep i had a call from Audio Room, Hull sayin they have one in now for demo, so hopefuly next week!

Can you tell us a bit more about your demo? did you use CDs or were you streaming?

Is at as good as a Nait 5i/CD5?

I'm tempted..........only if it sounds better than my Rega Brio r/Apollo r/DAC

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
domenn said:
and how it compares to uniti 1 ? I hope it's not better than Rega boxes :quest:

My hunch is that it wont be, however the streaming feature is very attractive!

I have just got a Squeezebox Touch and streaming lossless from an iMac to the SBT then optical into the Rega DAC and its pretty damn good!

domenn

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I would use SBT with naim unit anyway because of Spotify , and additional cost of phono preamp :?

so Unitilite must soud 1,5 x better :) but it will not be all in one anymore

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Probably an unfair comparison to the Cambridge gear but that's all I can compare with the same speakers...

needless to say it blows the CA out of the water. Expansive soundstage, tuneful taught bass and effortlessly musical. Very very naim which is fine by me :-D.

i listened to cd, streaming via upnp, I radio and files from both my ipad via USB and also some high res files from a USB drive. All sounded excellent.

Love the way the nstream app controls everything too. Very neat user friendly way to listen to a vast array of sources.

I didn't compare it to any other kit but regardless it sounds fantastic, sod what reviews say and have a listen yourself, I'm sure most will love what it does.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
i have read that, was hoping for real user views!

Not sure how real I am, but I could give you an IMHO if you want...
smiley-wink.gif

tyranniux42

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Andrew purely on SQ how does the UnitiLite fare against a Rega Brio r/Apollo r/DAC?
The answer is obviously going to be subjective. I haven't heard your gear so can't comment unfortunately. If you like the naim sound then I'm sure it will compete with anything in a similar price range. I heard a very respected audiophile comment that he preferred it to the uniti2.

it made me tap my feet just as much as my main system does which is the main factor for me :grin:

Englishbull

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi

i am new to the forum but have been reading this topic with some interest. I currently have a home cinema system but have been looking to purchase something to play music through.

ive been reading up on the unitilite and think this is the system that would suit. I could upgrade the home cinema system but want to keep it separate from the hifi.

so just wondered what would be a good choice speaker wise. Those that have had a listen of the unitilite what speakers did you hear through?

I am planing on visiting a shop this Saturday that stocks naim so hopefully will get an audition myself.

I did visit a shop this Saturday and had a listen of a Niam system played through a pair of neat monitor 1. (Not sure what the naim was). I was impressed with the sound but open to suggestions on the speaker front as its a tough choice out there.

Many thanks

scott

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Andrew purely on SQ how does the UnitiLite fare against a Rega Brio r/Apollo r/DAC?

Not a clue, as not familiar with the Rega equipment.

But the IMHO bit is that I reckon the UnitiLite is only a smidge behind the NaimUniti2, and of course £1000 less expensive.

And given – also IMHO at least – that the NU2 sounds considerably better than the original NaimUniti...

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
Can't comment directly about Neat and Rega speakers, PMC work an absolute treat with ALL Naim gear IMHO. By that I mean, if I was looking at any of the Unitis or Naim separates PMC speakers would be my first port of call.

Me too. I'd have a pair of DB1i. Cracking speakers and they sound incredible with Naim.

TRENDING THREADS