naim uniti

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HiI have just purchase a nearly new uniti from a friend at a very good price, this leaves me with some more money to upgrade.Currently i have monitor Audio Rs6 speakers iam looking to possibly upgrade, i have between £1000 to £2000 to spend, i will try to audition some speaker but wondering which to go, being looking at B & w or pmc, would be interested on any views. also which speaker cables would you advise. Also possibly thinking on adding a power amp, possibly Nap 200,would this give me much improvement, again any views welcome. Thanks Andy

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
As a former Uniti owner I think you should listen to the Uniti with good speakers first for a good period before even contemplating a Power Amp. Give the Uniti some decent speakers ( I had my EB Acoustics EB1's) and you will be more than happy with the performance, I guarantee. Try it for a good time with your existing speakers before making any rash decisions. I'm not familiar with your current speakers.

I've read a few threads on adding a power amp (the NAP 200 in particular) and my feeling is that it will make little if any improvement. I'd give the Uniti plenty of time to shine on its own and use the money on better speakers if need be (and a decent TT and phono amp) first.

ps: You could always use the money saved on a power amp and buy some music!

John Duncan

PMC and Neat would be my first ports of call, specifically GB1i and Motive 1 respectively.

If standmounts are more your thing, the Neat Petite SX sounded fabulous on the end of my Uniti, Spendor SA1 would be worth a listen (though I wasn't bowled over), and if you're feeling really flush, any Sonus Faber you could afford...
emotion-2.gif

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If it's bookshelf speakers you're after, then I would recommend auditioning the PMC DB1i or the Elac BS243 - both around 1,000 quid and both work very well with the Uniti. Not so effective IMO but also worth an audition are the Spendor SA1 and Harbeth P3ESR, though both are more expensive (especially the Spendor with its matching stands).

derby:

Hi
I have just purchase a nearly new uniti from a friend at a very good price, this leaves me with some more money to upgrade.
Currently i have monitor Audio Rs6 speakers iam looking to possibly upgrade, i have between £1000 to £2000 to spend, i will try to audition some speaker but wondering which to go, being looking at B & w or pmc, would be interested on any views. also which speaker cables would you advise.

Also possibly thinking on adding a power amp, possibly Nap 200,would this give me much improvement, again any views welcome.

Thanks
Andy

Have to confess I've not heard the Uniti, but heard the Nait 5i amp and CDP. As far as standmounters go I'd look at PMC TB2i, EB Acoustic EB2s and Neats.

A little different: This speaker I heard with the Nait and sounded fantastic: MonoPulse 32s. They're a bit of an aquired taste aesthetically, but wow, they sounded awesome.

A

Anonymous

Thank you Has anybody had any experience with the naim serve

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
If you're happy with the sound of the RS6's then stick with them, but Naim and MA RS wouldn't be my first choice combination. Assuming you like MA speakers, why not wait a little while and look at MA's new Gold GX series appears? These will be nearer to the Platinum sound than the current Gold sound, so expect quite a rise in quality. These will suit the Naim better than the B&W's in my opinion.

You'll have to be careful not to go too far with the speaker though - the Uniti's amplification is pretty much on par with the Nait 5i - while not exactly lacking, there will be a limit on the sort of speaker that it can drive, and ultimately control. For under £2k, I'd be recommending the ProAc D18's and KEF Q900's. The Unit will happily drive and control the Q900's as they're an 8ohm load and a 91dB sensitivity rating - but the ProAc's require a lot more grunt to get them going and to control them. Whichever speaker you choose to go with in your price bracket, adding a power amp will bring major benefits. Do try and audition the Uniti with this power amp when trying out speakers - once you've found a combination you're happy with, stick to that, even if your speaker choice isn't necessarily being used to their potential in the meantime.

If you decide not to add a power amp later on, stick to speakers with an easier load so you don't tax the amplification too much.

A

Anonymous

As JD says, pick any Sonus Faber. They are a class above the competition. Even the little Toys are something special.

Clearly not many on here have heard the MonoPulse - it's a shame. They are, in my view, sound quality-wise, the best floorstanding speaker I've heard below £1500. The downside is they are 'pug-ugly' and recommended if you have young children. Ah, the other negative, for me, anyway, is they are about 92cms high...

If you don't have kiddie-winks and love a strange shape, and wanna bring the best from your Naim, then the MonoPulses will equal most of the very best speakers around, and better the others.

A

Anonymous

yes i see what you mean about there looks, not the best are they.

TRENDING THREADS