Naim Uniti 2 CD transport fault.

singgs

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
Got the Uniti 2 in September and the CD player stopped recognising CDs after 2 months.

My dealer kindly gave me a replacement but this still seems to have a potential problem:

Either on loading the CD or during playback it stops and message 'Cd not recognised, please check for dirt' . This happens too often for comfort

These are all new clean CDs so it is NOT the discs themselves

Whats going on? This is a 2.5K piece of kit, it should not have problems with the CD deck!

The dealer admitted that there had been 'reports' of problems with the fixing of the CD transport on some devices but I can find next to nothing about this on google or the naim website

As I said, what's going on.?

Any feedback from Naim or this site would be most welcome

Best

Paul
multi-quote-unselected.png

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Are you registered on the Naim forum ? It might be worth posting there. I'd guess there would also be some company representation there too.

jjbomber

Andrew Everard said:
As it says on the same forum, Naim's on Christmas/New Year shutdown until January 2. Guess you won't get any response until then

And going to be very busy when they come back. My UnitiLite packed up an Day 2, never mind month 2. Somebody else on here has got a similar problem. I'm sure Naim would love to keep it quiet but it seems that their quality control has gone.

Of course it is the pantomine season, so in the true sense of Aladdin, customer service will be saying 'New Nain For Old, New Naim For Old'. Ther's going to be a lot of manaufacturer refurbs going cheap before long.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I have alerted Naim via its PR to the posts on this Forum, so the company is aware of the problems. Or at least will be when it comes back on Jan 2 and opens its mails...

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
singgs said:
I have posted on the Naim users forum, thanks. All quiet from Naim themselves so far

Lauerbach??

Best

Paul

Lauterbach is a German state of the art on device debugger. Serious sw problems can be avoided when used. In worst case, some macho programmer is in charge of the Naim sw.

singgs

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks

As I have just posted on the Naim forum, I had a look at the 'puck' for the CD player and one of the 'feet' still had a rough bit of plastic from the manufacturing process. Perhaps this was preventing an even grip of the CD? If this is the problem (or not), then it is shoddy manufacturing

I managed to remove this excess plastic from the 'foot' and no CD problems since then but of course that could be chance.

To be honest, I'm just waiting on Uniti 2 (number 3) from my helpful dealer (Acoustica in Chester - thanks guys)

It would be nice for Naim to acknowledge what this CD player problem is (on their return) and to confirm that it has been rectified

This is such a pity as it is a beautful piece of equipment in all other respects

Best

Paul

Singslinger

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if it's a case of Naim churning out too many new products In a short space of time. We've seen the Naim DAC, HDX, NDX, NDS, NDXS, Uniti, Uniti2, UnitiQute, SuperUniti and now UnitiLite released in the past 3-4 years, apparently as Naim looks to satisfy every segment of the digital market. For a company that for years did not make a CD player let alone a DAC, maybe the sudden embracing of all things digital too quickly is the root of the problem.

jjbomber

singgs said:
Thanks

As I have just posted on the Naim forum, I had a look at the 'puck' for the CD player and one of the 'feet' still had a rough bit of plastic from the manufacturing process. Perhaps this was preventing an even grip of the CD? If this is the problem (or not), then it is shoddy manufacturing

I managed to remove this excess plastic from the 'foot' and no CD problems since then but of course that could be chance.

Paul

The UnitiShi, oops, Lite doesn't have a puck but still won't read the CDs, so there are wider issues than just a bit of plastic left on the puck. The other problem is that it drops the streaming signal after about an hour. The Uniti upstairs works fine, so it can't be a network problem. There is definately a reliability issue there somewhere, probably in the quality control department.

Paulnaim

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi sorry for the delay in replying, we have had some issues with a new mech fitted into the uniti2 this has now been resolved, please contact your retailer who will organise a replacement unit for you, sorry you have had this experience.

Regards

Paul Stephenson

Managing Director

Naim

jjbomber

Paulnaim said:
Hi sorry for the delay in replying, we have had some issues with a new mech fitted into the uniti2 this has now been resolved, please contact your retailer who will organise a replacement unit for you, sorry you have had this experience.

Regards

Paul Stephenson

Managing Director

Naim

That's the absolute bare minimum you have to do by law under SOGA. It seems loyalty is a one way street these days. There is another post on here with a guy complaining about John Lewis and they gave a full refund, picked the unit up and offered £30 compensation. We, the long suffering Naim users, have to return the unit to our retaillers at our own expense to get another unit that may or may not work. Given that your sales rep won't even call to our local retaillers it comes as no surprise. Do you really call this service?

singgs

Apr 11, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies everyone

I have had great service from my dealer (Acoustica, Chester) and I have no 'beef'(?!).

I was asking for an answer to a genuine concern and I am relieved that Naim have recognised the problem

I am hopeful that my 3rd unit(i) will be problem-free because, as I said, I love the Uniti 2 in every other way

Best

Paul

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
What did you want? A holiday on Daydream island for two?

If you're not happy at being given a replacement, then ask for your money back and get something else.

sings, sorry mate, my reply wasn't directed at you but the indignant jj.

jjbomber

altruistic.lemon said:
my reply wasn't directed at you but the indignant jj.

I won't be resorting to childish name calling but I suggest you read this post:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/theres-this-shop-near-me/two-tales-of-customer-service

John Lewis pick the goods up, give a full refund and £30 compensation, and then still get a slating. That is for a kid's toy. Now imagine if you had spent nearly £1,500 on a Hi-Fi that lasting all of 70 minutes. Then consider that Naim didn't offer any of those. You may consider that great customer service; I don't.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I have to agree with JJBomber........

Spending that amount of money with the Naim brand you would at least expect a bit more than the bare legal requirement!

This isnt the only forum where people are having problems with the CDP part of there UnitiLite, some users on there 2/3rd unit - Naim need to sort this out quick otherwise it could manifest itself.

I have been considering a UnitiLite but think I am going to wait a few months now and see if this issue is resolved as it does not appear to be lone isolated incident.

It will be interesting if we get any feedback on here form the MD of Naim.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
jjbomber said:
I won't be resorting to childish name calling but I suggest you read this post:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/theres-this-shop-near-me/two-tales-of-customer-service

John Lewis pick the goods up, give a full refund and £30 compensation, and then still get a slating. That is for a kid's toy. Now imagine if you had spent nearly £1,500 on a Hi-Fi that lasting all of 70 minutes. Then consider that Naim didn't offer any of those. You may consider that great customer service; I don't.

Yes, but in that example JL was more than fulfilling its obligation as the company with which the customer had a contract, as required by SOGA. What's your retailer offering, as it, not the manufacturer, should be your first port of call in a situation such as this?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Naim need to sort this out quick otherwise it could manifest itself

it's already manifested itself, and Paul has offered a solution that surely should have been offered by the customer's retailer.

stevebrock said:

But you've already had that. Paul has acknowledged there has been a problem, and asked the customer to contact the retailer, who will arrange a replacement. The details of who does what in terms of any costs involved in replacement are between customer and retailer, as they should be under SOGA.

Whatever problems the retailer in question has with its Naim rep has nothing to do with anything - the contract is between retailer and customer.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
stevebrock said:
Naim need to sort this out quick otherwise it could manifest itself

it's already manifested itself, and Paul has offered a solution that surely should have been offered by the customer's retailer.

stevebrock said:

But you've already had that...

i did mean more feedback

jjbomber

Andrew Everard said:
Sorry, expanded my post while you were replying. PS has said a replacement will be arranged through the dealer - it's really up to customer and retailer to sort this out.

But you are missing the point here Andrew. Last week you said that you had emailed the PR department at Naim. This week you are saying that it has nothing to do with them and it's up to the retailler. So why did you email PR them? Were you expecting them to do more than just wash their hands of the whole thing? Yes, I did too.

Maybe it is time, after 20 years, to look elsewhere for another Hi-Fi brand. But, as someone on the forum pointed out, not all amplifiers sound the same!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts