Naim, on all the time?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just read JoelSims thread about the cost of running stuff. I have had my Naim amp on ever since I bought it because the power button seems designed not to be accessed easily. I also figured it would not need time to heat up because Naim amps take on age to. What to other Naim owners do? Should I save the power?

A

Anonymous

leave class B amps turned on. with class A amps its a matter of choice. I believe naim is class B. The power amp clone im building for the car is.

A

Anonymous

I thought so, but didn't know about the A/B difference. Thanks. I also leave my DAC switched on 24/7 but this is just laziness. I reckon if you got the OWL on this it wouldn't even rustle its feathers...

friendly1_uk:leave class B amps turned on. with class A amps its a matter of choice. I believe naim is class B. The power amp clone im building for the car is.

I personally wouldn't leave it on overnight. Regardless of what class they are, you'll find that over a period of weeks, your bills will start to soar. I also believe the eco boys would approve of switching everything off. . .
emotion-8.gif

A

Anonymous

In that case why don't the Naim amps have a front power button or a power button on the remote?

Octopo:Why don't the Naim amps have a front power button or a power button on the remote then?

According to a retailer I'm friendly with, he said that Naim's philosophy is if you keep the amp warm it will guarantee first class sound - and, of course, lessens the signal interference.

The trick they have missed is that putting a switch at the back isn't practical. Not to mention the greenhouse effect. . .Mmm.

A

Anonymous

I own the cd5i and i've only turned it off once. This was only because i went away on holiday. As you said the switch is around the back of the player which makes it awkward to get to. It has made me wonder if this is an intensional design point to stop the user turning the player off, for sonic performance.

As a side issue does leaving the player forever on, decrease the lifespan of the player?

A

Anonymous

ever noticed how light bulbs tend to blow as you turn them on? Or how things worked when you last used them, yet are broke? Its because of the high inrush of currant as things stabilise. For one brief moment things dont work as they should do. Its during this time that most things break. I do mean most aswell. Its also a time when sensative components take hammer that may not break them, but wont do them any good at all either.

Class B amps are doing very little until a signal is applied. Its the signal that opens up the gates so to speak. Class A amps have the gates open before a signal is applied, the signal just swings them. Thus, class A amps are constantly aging while there turned on. You have to decide if the power cost and aging will outweigh the chances of it blowing up at switch on one day. Class B amps dont really cost much to leave on, and there not under any real stress unless in use. If the amp cost a few quid then turning it off is a risk some dont want to take. Might aswell leave it on.

Remember, this wasted energy is seen as heat. Its work your heating wont have to do, and if like me you have a closed rack, then it warms everything keeping it dry and warm, even when the house does go cold. Ive been known to pull the plug in summer though.

friendly1_uk:

ever noticed how light bulbs tend to blow as you turn them on? Or how things worked when you last used them, yet are broke? Its because of the high inrush of currant as things stabilise. For one brief moment things dont work as they should do. Its during this time that most things break. I do mean most aswell. Its also a time when sensative components take hammer that may not break them, but wont do them any good at all either.

Class B amps are doing very little until a signal is applied. Its the signal that opens up the gates so to speak. Class A amps have the gates open before a signal is applied, the signal just swings them. Thus, class A amps are constantly aging while there turned on. You have to decide if the power cost and aging will outweigh the chances of it blowing up at switch on one day. Class B amps dont really cost much to leave on, and there not under any real stress unless in use. If the amp cost a few quid then turning it off is a risk some dont want to take. Might aswell leave it on.

Remember, this wasted energy is seen as heat. Its work your heating wont have to do, and if like me you have a closed rack, then it warms everything keeping it dry and warm, even when the house does go cold. Ive been known to pull the plug in summer though.

I don't think your view is correct. Comparing it to a light bulb is like saying a bone is as easy to break as a match stick.

Remember, the bulb is a fragile item that can [and does] blow the more you switch it on & off. Likewise, a hi-fi component will be affected by constant switching off & on. also, constantly left on will lessen its lifespan - like a car, higher the mileage the likelyhood is it will wear far quicker.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I switch off the lot (hifi, TV, DVD, computers etc) every night & when I go out. I switch off at the wall sockets afterwards as well. Equipment in standby is still using electricity and wall warts get warm.

There is a safety aspect. I have never heard of powered off equipment causing a fire.

Even the occasional MacBook and Airport Express have been known to melt/catch fire/explode for no apparent reason. It is not unknown to read here on this forum about some unfortunate soul hearing a loud bang (and smelling burnt component) whilst some beloved bit of hifi despatches itself! At least they were around when it happened.

The (admittedly small) chances of such events has increased a little with the new - ROHS standard - lead-free solders being employed nowadays. They are prone to 'whiskering' over time and causing shorts.

Plus there is the financial aspect to all this. If your energy bills have not almost doubled in the last year or so then let me know who your supplier is so I can use them too.

Leaving a low energy lightbulb on overnight on the landing/hall so that the kids can safely find the bathroom at night without tumbling downstairs is one matter. Leaving hifi powered on 24x7 is another. If it does not sound good after a short warm-up then it is badly designed. If the manufacturer recommends leaving it powered on 24x7 then they are being irresponsible in this day & age. What would we say about a car manufacturer who recommended leaving the motor idling all night for optimum performance?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I used to leave my Naim's power on, as I felt it there was a difference warm, from "cold".

However, over the weekend, I measured my Naim amps, and they use 60w even on mute.

That works out to about £7 per month, just to leave them on. And that is without thinking about the carbon emissions.

I find that an hour is enough to make a difference, so have now gone back to switching them off, and switching them on when I come in from work, if I'm going to have a listening session on an evening.

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast: they use 60w even on mute.That works out to about £7 per month, just to leave them on.

Have you measured them not on mute with no music being played through them? Like friendly said with the class B stuff, it'll probably use much less power when it isn't doing anything at all?

A

Anonymous

I switch off my Naim rig every Sunday night and switch on them again on the following Friday as i only had time to listen to it during weekend. Naim do sound better when it had warm up but it don't take long. My Naim need just an hour to sound at it best thus i don't find it necessary to keep it constantly on.

A

Anonymous

fatboyslimfast:Mute on 59w, mute off 60w...

By mute do you mean the amp still being fed a signal and the speakers just turned off, or no signal being fed to the amp at all ie standby........

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
this thread got me interested in my amp's energy use.

standby = 25 watts

full chat into 4 ohm speeks = 550 watt!

iirc, the new cambridge audio power amp says it uses about 2000 watts on the back panel. i could probably power my house on that.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

My Naim amp says

quiescent consumption - 10VA,

Now what that means in real money I'm not quite sure, anyone care to translate...

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Not entirely sure. My preamp has a "mute" button on it, and I did the tests with my beresford connected (I measured this separately and deducted it from the total) and on, but playing nothing.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:friendly1_uk:

I don't think your view is correct. Comparing it to a light bulb is like saying a bone is as easy to break as a match stick.

Remember, the bulb is a fragile item that can [and does] blow the more you switch it on & off. Likewise, a hi-fi component will be affected by constant switching off & on. also, constantly left on will lessen its lifespan - like a car, higher the mileage the likelyhood is it will wear far quicker.

You have agreed with me? constant on/off kills things. constant use also wears things, but the degree of wear is the issue.

10VA is 10 Watts or less, so a pound a month.

A

Anonymous

Thanks friendly, That settles it, the Snait stays on,

Thats the reason why Naim place the power switches at the back, its designed to stay on............

A

Anonymous

I turn my Arcam off because I don't believe it is safe to leave such an item on over night or when unattended - lightning and power surges and dodgey electronics can burn your house down in just minutes!

A

Anonymous

MENISCUS:

Thanks friendly, That settles it, the Snait stays on,

Thats the reason why Naim place the power switches at the back, its designed to stay on............

Brilliant. That's settled it for me too, thanks guys. To be honest I didn't see the bills go up when I switched from the Kandy which I did turn off, albeit the Kandy was more powerful.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
I find with my CD5i / Nait5i - whether I leave them on permanently or not it takes the playing of tracks to get it to optimum sound. So my contention is that it really doesn't matter...

Oh - and I reckon the power switches round the back is purely to preserve that lovely Naim minimalist look!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts