NAIM ND5-SX or CA Stream Magic 6

John Duncan

Can't speak for the ND5 SX because I haven't heard it, but I can state that the SM6 is very good indeed - certainly on a par with the streamer in the Uniti.

As far as usability is concerned, I've used both apps at length and tbh whilst on the iPhone the Naim app probably shades it, on the iPad they function almost identically, and I wouldn't use that as a reason to buy one or the other; I would point out that both need the app to make them usable at all though.

It's quite a big price differential, so I'd want to be absolutely sure that any uplift in audio performance - together with the admittedly superior build of the Naim - is worth it to you.

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
As always audition before you buy. Had a look at the Naim app today and it makes searching so much easier. The CA app looks just as good on the online video.

All down to sound quality.

The only difference i can see is that the CA SM6 only does 24/96 over ethernet while the Naim does 24/192. Is that really a deal breaker though. Not at present but who knows in future.

Wish CA would bring out an app for the 751BD then problem solved

John Duncan

I did ask them ;-)

Was it you asking how the 751BD behaves as a UPnP client? Briefly: not so good. Slow and clunky, and when you get into playlists etc you only see song names, not artists. Bit prosaic.

As for 24/192, that would not be a selling point for me right now, if ever.

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Yes it was and after seeing how the CA SM6 and Naim work it shows how awkward the 751 is. I asked them too but didnt get a decent answer. Basically said if they provide one they will announce it on the web. I thought no s..t sherlock

How do you think the 751 and SM6 compare?

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Sorry what i meant was do you think that CA will or are in the process of producing an app for the 751 to allow similar control to the app for the SM6. Obviously i understand you cant say either way for sure.

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Damn was hoping you was privey to something :)

Im new to this forum but i have to say everyone has been really helpful and informative, especially yourself John. Many thanks

John Duncan

No problem. I did ask CA whether a 751 app was on the cards when I took delivery of the prototype SM6 and they said:

"When we release an update for the 751BD to support a control app we’ll be singing from the rooftops about it"

You can read what you will into their use of the word "when", but I'm not aware of any dev in that direction.

JD

Foxman50

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I just received the following from CA

"To do so is partially up to the core firmware provider Mediatek. They seem to be aware of the latent desire for control of this type so hopefully we might see some progress."

Its always cloak and daggers and Chinese whispers :)

If it isnt already on the cards then id recon its getting a bit late. Im sure the next varient will be coming out soon, probably Oppo103BD

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts