naim nap 200 or naim hicap

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i currently have a naim nac 202 pre and naim nap 155xs power with flatcap x2 and a napsc.

im wondering if its worth either upgrading the power anp to the nac 200 or keeping the 155xs and getting a naim hicap.

my question is what is likley to be the best option for overall sound quality improvment,

also if i went the hicap route can i still use the napsc and sell on the flatcap?

i am happy with the sound im getting at the moment but theres always room for improvment.

so if theres anyone who would like to point me in the right direction i would be most grateful.

regards

80s boy

A

Anonymous

Ok well that helps as im not after more loudness so maybe i should go for the hicap but can i still use the napsc aswell or just the hicap and sell on the flatcap and the napsc?

regards

80s boy

80s boy said:
i currently have a naim nac 202 pre and naim nap 155xs power with flatcap x2 and a napsc. im wondering if its worth either upgrading the power anp to the nac 200 or keeping the 155xs and getting a naim hicap. my question is what is likley to be the best option for overall sound quality improvment, also if i went the hicap route can i still use the napsc and sell on the flatcap? i am happy with the sound im getting at the moment but theres always room for improvment. so if theres anyone who would like to point me in the right direction i would be most grateful. regards 80s boy

Hi 80s boy

If its the new HiCap DR (Discrete Regulator) then in the first instance replace the FlatCap 2X with the HiCap DR. If its the non DR HiCap then first replace the NAP 155 XS with a NAP 200. Then replace Flatcap 2X with a HiCap or with the significantly better HiCap DR.

Btw, you can still use the NAPSC with the NAC 202 with or without a FlatCap 2X, HiCap or HiCap DR power supplies.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi 80's boy

The NAP 200 is not all about having the ability to play louder then a NAP 155 XS. The superior design of the NAP 200 will also enbable the NAP 200 to energize speakers much more effectively and you should find that your system to sound better at almost any comparable listening level.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

well its not going to be the new highcap dr as me thinks its expensive (not that i can find a price for it)

your saying i should go for the power amp first if its not the new hicap.

so im still none the wiser more help required please guys

regards

80s boy

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As a general rule, if you want better quality, change the pre, if you want more power you change the power amplifier. Obviously it gets a little trickier when deciding between pre-amps and power supplies, so there's no hard and fast rules, just guidelines. All products that use better quality components will improve sound quality, but to what degree depends on those components and what is being compared. A pre-amplifier has the greatest ability to affect sound quality. Generally speaking, of course :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts