Naim Nait 5i or Cyrus 8vs

ultrarunner

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I have the chance to upgrade my existing amp - and have the possibility of either of the above (non italic 5i!).

My current system is Rega P3 (with some mods), Arcam CD72 & Monitor Audio BR5. I also have an old Sony tuner and an iPod dock for background listening. My music tastes are the heavy end of prog (Floyd, Riverside, Porcupine Tree etc), rock/metal, ambient, classical...and occasionally some nice, chilled out singer/songwriter acoustic stuff...

Anyone have any preferences for either brand/model, past experience etc?

Thanks!

Si

Welcome to the forum Si.

I can only tell you what I experienced with my MAs, Naim and Cyrus.

Used to own RS6s + Arcam CD73T, and I tried a couple of incarnations of the Naim Nait 5i (including Italic version). I like both brands but the two together is a no no IMHO. I found the overall sound immensely fatiguing, eventually giving me a headache at modest volume levels.

Likewise, I had the Cyrus 8VS2 on home dem and although wasn't as fatiguing the combo of Cyrus and MA didn't work for me: Great for female vocals, but play some rock music, and compared to a Roksan Kandy LIII, which I blagged at the same time (sorry Mr. Cox) the overall effect favoured the Roksan.

There is a possiblity that your BR5s are slightly more forgiving when it comes amp combos, and the BR5s sounded really good when I heard them many moons ago at SS&AV, powered by an Arcam A70 (I think).

Sorry for being a little negative. However, if you could try one at home, I think that'll be the acid test.

Good luck, PP.

bazil

Jul 17, 2014
Visit site
Hi Si,

I've owned Cyrus in the past and currently Naim which i gusess tells you something in it's self.

Clearly it's very subjective and down to personal taste but I found Cyrus to have a 'house' sound that is very detailed, clean and dynamic. However, for me it lacks the emotional communucation and ability to make your feet tap and untimately forget the equipment allowing focus on the music. On the other hand I find Naim to have all the detail etc but it makes my feet tap and I find my self lost in the music, not the equipment or treble and bass performance. In essence I find Cyrus to be very hi-fi and Naim to be all about the music.

A last point would be the match between Cyrus and Monitor Audio. I've not listened to your particular speakers but my experience of MA is they lean towards a more upfront and brighter presentation as does the Cyrus. The combination could be somewhat agressive.

As with everything in audio it's personal so an audition I would suggest is essential.

I hope that helps.

Paul

ultrarunner

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks guys!

The problem is, they're both second hand purchases, so demo-ing isn't an option... I do like a very clear/analytical sound, but not THAT clear, which I have a feeling the Cyrus may be.

I've been having a bit more of a look around and unearthed another couple of possibilities :

Arcam Alpha 10

Arcam Diva A65 with Diva P75 Power Amp

Arcam Diva A85

or a brand new Rega Brio-R - but I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade compared to what I already have...?

PS - thanks for the welcome, I used to be on here a while ago, but couldn't remember my log-in, and using Facebook was a lot easier! LOL

ultrarunner said:
Thanks guys!

The problem is, they're both second hand purchases, so demo-ing isn't an option... I do like a very clear/analytical sound, but not THAT clear, which I have a feeling the Cyrus may be.

I've been having a bit more of a look around and unearthed another couple of possibilities :

Arcam Alpha 10

Arcam Diva A65 with Diva P75 Power Amp

Arcam Diva A85

or a brand new Rega Brio-R - but I'm not sure that's much of an upgrade compared to what I already have...?

PS - thanks for the welcome, I used to be on here a while ago, but couldn't remember my log-in, and using Facebook was a lot easier! LOL

IMHO Arcam and MA is a no-brainer. Heard numerous Arcams with RS6s and they just marry so well.

I used to own the A65+ at the time. Fabulous budget amp.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
For only £100 more than I sold my Nait 5i-2 for two years ago, you can buy a brand new Arcam FMJ A19 (£650 at Richer Sounds). You evidently enjoy the Arcam sound as you are replacing an Alpha 6.

It also has a decent built-in MM phono stage which will save you cash by not having to buy seperately.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
If it's not too late...

I also have a CD72 and it is partnered with a Cyrus 5 (bought together new in 2001) and last year added a pair of KEF Q700. Really love the Arcam/Cyrus combo. So for me, I'd go with the Cyrus, but like everyone says there is so much that is down to personal choice....

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Old'ish thread but nevertheless, here is what I think about the cyrus option (I love it when an OP never bothers to tell the outcome ...)

I have an 8vs2. With or without the PSX-R, 'bright and aggressive' are the last two things that cross my mind when listening to them.

Full/solid sounding, dynamic and rythmic thats how I would sum the amplifier up. Within it's power envelope it sounds way more powerful than some (more powerful) alternatives.

'Bright' would sum up an amplifier that is bass shy or has excessive distortion. The cyrus is neither unless the 8 (as opposed the VS2) is 'voiced' completely different.

I also like certain Naims, the original XS being one of them.

regards

Pavlo

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I I have a pair of Tannoy D700 speakers that I have enjoyed for many years connected to a Harmon Kardon AV amplifier. The HK is a big lump but does a good job of powering the speakers however it is time to upgrade to something new and smaller in size to fit in the new unit. The specs for the Tannoys are : nominal imp 6ohm min imp 4 ohm recommended power 30 to 200 watt/channel.

I am no hifi buff but enjoy quality sound and would like the opinion of those who know much more than I do as to the choices of an integrated amplifier that would match these speakers. I am not looking to spend a fortune as I listen only occasionally but the choice out there is enormous! Any suggestions gratefully received!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts