Naim NAC-N 172 XS vs Cambridge Azur 851N?

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
What do you think? Used as a pre amp and streamer into a Quad 909 and currently a pair of Dynaudio X-12? Would the Naim be too smooth or warm in this set up? Would I be better going for the maybe drier, brighter detailed 851N?

I mean I only ask because when I showed the missus tonight she didn't raise the fact that the Naim is about $1000 AUD extra (she is pretty cool like that) so I thought if she has no issues with that I should see if that would be money well spent....

Thanks.

jjbomber

ABM78 said:
Would the Naim be too smooth or warm in this set up?

I mean I only ask because when I showed the missus tonight she didn't raise the fact that the Naim is about $1000 AUD extra (she is pretty cool like that) so I thought if she has no issues with that I should see if that would be money well spent....

Never heard a Naim product called smooth before!!!

Beware the missus! Mine was fine when I wanted a UnitiLite; then took it for her system in the bedroom. She is a Kung fu instructor and a black belt at karate, so no, I haven't taken it back*biggrin*

jjbomber said:
ABM78 said:
Would the Naim be too smooth or warm in this set up?

Never heard a Naim product called smooth before!!!

Beware the missus! Mine was fine when I wanted a UnitiLite; then took it for her system in the bedroom. She is a Kung fu instructor and a black belt at karate, so no, I haven't taken it back*biggrin*

Nor 'warm', I think theIR might need to go audition for himself.

D

Deleted member 116933

To be honest its a streamer/dac so it shouldn't have any sonic signiture at all ( its decoding digital data) as it will be the power amp being used that will add the sonic signiture.

Also just so your aware Naim products are designed to stay on all the time. So no standby! and get some what warm. Some people like that and some don't and some don't even relise like me when i first bought my first naim product.

Really both do the same job but naim will have the build quality, also now has tidal on board free for 3 months.

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Thanks, I would love to be able to go and try them out but it is 3000km's to the nearest capital city where I live! After looking around a bit more on the net and in the same price bracket as the 851N is the unitiqute 2? Maybe thats what I should be comparing? I know the uniqute 2 has the amp section I don't need, though I am worried about the less forgiving to lower quality files. I think I need to bite the bullet and buy the 851N as I just keep reading more and more and getting myself confused and moving up in price and I do want to replace the speakers next.

rainsoothe

If you like your music to have a real sense of rhythmic flow, go Naim - I would pick it over the gray-sounding CA stuff anyday. The UQ2 is very good, I just bought one, but it needs a power amp. Don't get me wrong, it's ok-ish and fun, but has no depth and weight on its own. I also auditioned it with both Nap100 and Nap200, and a power amp is mandatory. A Nap200 is amazing should you decide to upgrade later, it's smooth and musical but detailed as well, and requires a much better preamp then the UQ2 (think at least Naim Dac V1). I think Nac N-172XS would work with your Quad just fine, and it will have a way better dac section then the one in the UQ2.

Maybe you'll find a place that offers a moneyback policy, so you can return whatever you decide to buy if you don't like it.

As for speakers, whenever you decide to up, definately have Focal Aria range (not the 905 though), and Revel Performa 3 M106 (or even 105).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts