Naim (?) + Monitor Audio RX2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Has anybody heard Naim amplification with the Monitor Audio Silver RX range? I have read/heard about people using these brands together more recently and I was wondering if a Naim UnitiQute would be able run a pair of RX2's, or might a Nait 5i and an outboard DAC be a better option - the quoted sensitivity listing from the manufacturer is 90dB? Your experiences, thoughts and opinions as always, are appreciated. Thanks, Siva

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I have only heard MA RS and BR speakers with Naim (5i) and they went together like oil and water!

Things may have improved with the BX/RX models.

Best to listen first.

A

Anonymous

I've heard the Naim Nait 5i with the RX2's and the B&W CM5's and to be honest; it all sounded horrible.

Too light in the bass and the trebles were a little painful.

They used the Naim CD player as well as a Cyrus 6SE and my Arcam CD72.

Horrible
emotion-6.gif

Just to make sure it wasnt me they added the RX6's and the QUAD 22L2's and still the same.

A

Anonymous

Oh gosh, what a mismatch.

Three replies and not one good response; it's just a bit odd that What Hi-Fi would match the Naim Nait 5i/CD5i to the Monitor Audio RX6's in their Group Winners review.

Anyways, thanks for the response guys.

A

Anonymous

It's really all down to personal tastes so you really need to demo for yourself.

I've heard the Naim pairing with Neat Motive 2 speakers and that system sounded superb!

A

Anonymous

I have heard monitor audios dont pair well with naim gear.

Try looking at the following brands PMC, Neat, Spendor, ATC, EB Acoustics

A

Anonymous

I've got a dealer bringing me a nait xs on the 12th for a home demo, and I've got a Monitor Audio rx6.

I'll let you know what I did. If it doesn't work, I'll either swap the speakers for a different amp or the other way around. I heard the rx6s with the arcam a28 and the sound was really nice and smooth, but ultimately lacked impact, and I'd rather go with the Nad and save money. He's also bringing over the rega rs5s (that supposedly go very well with the naits) and the naim satellite speakers too.

Let's see.

A

Anonymous

sivanessen:Oh gosh, what a mismatch.

Three replies and not one good response; it's just a bit odd that What Hi-Fi would match the Naim Nait 5i/CD5i to the Monitor Audio RX6's in their Group Winners review.

Can you paste the link to the group winner's page?

A

Anonymous

MangoMonkey:
sivanessen:Oh gosh, what a mismatch.

Can you paste the link to the group winner's page?

MangoMonkey - the review was not web based so I'm afraid that is not possible, to make matters worse, the review was from the South African publication of this magazine.

I'll try to find something on the net but don't hold your breath.

Cheers!

A

Anonymous

Here's what I think is going on, just picked up from people's opinions on these forums:

The older Naim lines were known for their harsh treble.

The Monitor Audio RS series speakers were also trebly.

I'm guessing combining these together made them non palatable.

The newer Nait 5i and XS aren't that bright from what I understand. Similarily, the MA RX series have had their brightness toned down.

Hence, maybe they'll be a better match.

I'll know firsthand on the 12th.

There are a couple of dealers on these forums that also suggest doing the MA speakers with the RX line. I guess they're on vacation, since haven't heard from them in a couple of days.

Maybe a question to the thread moderators might be in order...

A

Anonymous

Exactly, I know that the newer line of MA RX range is toned down compared to the older range, hence my question regarding the UnitiQute being able to drive a pair of RX2..

You're probably right about the dealers being away as well so I will wait with anticipation for your reply about experiences on the 12th.

Have a good one!

chebby:

I have only heard MA RS and BR speakers with Naim (5i) and they went together like oil and water!

Things may have improved with the BX/RX models.

Best to listen first.

Same experience with RS6s. Gave me a headache. I wouldn't say avoid them, but there are far better speaker matches for Naim.

A

Anonymous

MangoMonkey:
Here's what I think is going on, just picked up from people's opinions on these forums:

The older Naim lines were known for their harsh treble.

The Monitor Audio RS series speakers were also trebly.

I'm guessing combining these together made them non palatable.

The newer Nait 5i and XS aren't that bright from what I understand. Similarily, the MA RX series have had their brightness toned down.

Hence, maybe they'll be a better match.

I'll know firsthand on the 12th.

There are a couple of dealers on these forums that also suggest doing the MA speakers with the RX line. I guess they're on vacation, since haven't heard from them in a couple of days.

Maybe a question to the thread moderators might be in order...

Just some comments:

The new Monitor Audios still are a little bright to my ears and I find them a fatiguing listen. Many, however adore the detail they bring for the money.

The original Naims had a forward treble. They haven't had that for many years.

Reviews can be wrong, as can people's opinions. Dealers aren't infallible either, as they, of course, have a vested interest in selling products,

You both clearly want someone to say they're a good match, and are disappointed no-one has done so. It really doesn't matter. You are the people buying the equipment, not us. If your ears say it's a good match, then it is a good match so go ahead and buy with confidence.

A

Anonymous

I must say I agree with others. To a certain degree listening to the MA Rx6 for longer hours was defintely fatiguing and headache inducing about a week ago, with a sign of relief when an album ended, even with the now relatively bass heavy Arcam rDac + Nad 326Bee combo I have currently. At that point, I was letting the speakers run in, and the comments I got was that speakers are bright at the onset. Also, I had less than optimal acoustics that I was continoulsy improving upon.

I'll have a long listen on the weekend, and decide whether the speakers and the rest of the system are a good match with each other and for my room's acoustics. The Arcam A28 was a good match in that way. It made the natural forward nature of the MArx6s go away because it is extremely reserved. You might consider that to be a good match, but why bother picking these speakers if you're looking for a recessed sound.

A

Anonymous

Bump. To get more opinions now that our dealers seem to be back online (Musicraft is back online).

A

Anonymous

Why not just go out and audition? They're your ears, no-one elses.

A

Anonymous

I've actually got a vendor coming over to my place next week to demo a few speakers (rega, naim speakers) with a naim system. I'll know first hand what the story is (to my ears) at that point.

I've got a ma rx6 at home that's currently breaking in slowly, so can't really trust my ears, because it sounds different almost on a daily basis.

why ask others for opinions? Just curious as to what others think. Helping the op out, I guess, and satisfying my curiousity.

So yes, will be auditioning as you suggest.

A

Anonymous

hi,

I heard nait5i amp/cd with MA rx1- terrible; changing for dynaudio DM 2/7 was good choice

A

Anonymous

My Naim dealer is approx 1000 miles away, so while it would be obvious to demo these, I was just looking for opinions and prior experiences before I ask for a listen.

Thanks for your thoughts so far guys!

A

Anonymous

Ok guys, just the latest:

something that everything on the
forums was saying: The Monitor audios don't go well with the naims.

We tried it out, and it sounded quite all right for the longest time, it sounded pretty good actually. Only, when we finally swapped out the Monitor Audio rx6 for the Rega Rs5 speakers, it felt like a load was
lifted off my chest.

All in all, the rx6 playing at my place was
extremely fatiguing. it always felt good when I turned it off.

The Rega rs5s on the other hand, i just forget
about the music system and enjoy my music.

Seriously, you don't want to go there. Don't get me wrong: the MA are wonderful speakers, just don't pair them with the Naims.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts