Naim & Monitor Audio RS6

A

Anonymous

What speakers in the sub $2000 range do you think will pair well with the Naim?

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
It could be down to taste and listening room furnishings though. I'm running RS6s through a Naim 102/180 combo, and I absolutely love it. The RS6s seem to be a Marmite speaker - some people love them, some can't abide them. You have to get a listen really (if you can...)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
As an aside, I know that Drummerman (who doesn't find the RS6s to his taste) recommends the Rega speakers (R3/R5) as being very musical so those, along with the Totems mentioned above, could be well worth a listen.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I thought the combo would be good enough to strip paint in your living room!

Totem Arro or Neat motive 2 and third choice would be the Rega R3.

A

Anonymous

I borrowed a Nait5i with the Rega Apollo and R5s I have for a while whilst my Mira3 was at the menders. Very nice sound the system gave...not as good as the Mira/Apollo/R5 combo but again down to taste. Def give them a whirl.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I don't think it's Marmite FBS. People seem to dislike the RS6s because they are so popular. They get rave reviews and it's almost an easy choice to pick them. Some people seem to think they have to pick cool, unusual branded speakers so they get the reaction, "never heard of that make". I appreciate that some posters like Thaiman have listened to lots of speakers and would only listen to their ears and I accept that the RS6 is not everybody's cup of tea. However, for under £700, I really don't see what more you could ask for. Everyone who enters my lounge when a cd is playing, raves over the sound. Even if I didn't like a particular sound, I wouldn't just answer, "nope, bright and aggressive". Surely a more objective view would be more helpful. For the record, I have not been lucky enough to listen to any Naim products before, so cannot comment on the original post.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Gerr...I am using the RSC (silver centre) in my AV system and I rate the drivers highly.

but I wouldn't recommend the main pair for Naim equipments. Naim's top end is not what I would call smooth! (nor your speakers)

Your electronics seem to gel well with the speakers, the power of Cambridge Audio and lovely - warm sound of Denon SACD player which if I remember rightly also have a pitch control.

I don't think people would just slay the RS6 purely because they are one of the best selling speakers today, if that is the case we will have Cyrus slayer in every other threads.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fair play. I'm new to this game and I probably don't have the ears to pick up every intricacy (or maybe I do and I've been lucky with my choices so far). My cd (my Denon dvd does SACD) player does have pitch control and it is decent for the money. out of interest TM, which subwoofer do use for AV?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My AV system

Pioneer DV 989 - Avi DVD player (WOW)

Yamaha DSPAX757SE (not bad at all, ok with music too
emotion-3.gif
)

Monitor Audio Silver RS LCR

4 x Kef eggs (original)

Pure Acoustics Noble SUB Subwoofer

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]I don't think it's Marmite FBS. People seem to dislike the RS6s because they are so popular. They get rave reviews and it's almost an easy choice to pick them. Some people seem to think they have to pick cool, unusual branded speakers so they get the reaction, "never heard of that make". I appreciate that some posters like Thaiman have listened to lots of speakers and would only listen to their ears and I accept that the RS6 is not everybody's cup of tea. However, for under £700, I really don't see what more you could ask for. Everyone who enters my lounge when a cd is playing, raves over the sound. Even if I didn't like a particular sound, I wouldn't just answer, "nope, bright and aggressive". Surely a more objective view would be more helpful. For the record, I have not been lucky enough to listen to any Naim products before, so cannot comment on the original post.[/quote]

So I dislike the RS6 because they are popular ? That's just ridiculous. I dislike them because they sound forced and aggressive and they can't cope with 'busy' music. If you like them that's fine with me.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I wasn't specifying individuals Cypher, "I appreciate that some posters like Thaiman have listened to lots of speakers and would only listen to their ears and I accept that the RS6 is not everybody's cup of tea.".

A

Anonymous

Ahhhh let's not get defensive. To be fair I quite like the 6's, I very nearly bought them (didn't have Nait at the time). But the fact is they can sound forward with some kit, there's not a speaker on earth that sounds good no matter what it's driven by. I was mulling over Arcam and had that ended up being my box I would have loved me some rs6.

A

Anonymous

Primare amp? It's a very neutral machine... should be nice. But only you can say for sure!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]
Fair play Ray. I suppose because I haven't listened to mine with brightish equipment, I cannot understand the negatives. I like the look of Primare - would this go with the RS6 do you think?[/quote]
I've heard them with Musical Fidelity's X-Series components and they sounded good.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]

[quote user="Gerrardasnails"]

Fair play Ray. I suppose because I haven't listened to mine with brightish equipment, I cannot understand the negatives. I like the look of Primare - would this go with the RS6 do you think?[/quote]

I've heard them with Musical Fidelity's X-Series components and they sounded good.
[/quote]
OK, who hijacked Drummerman's account?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="drummerman"]
[quote user="igglebert"]OK, who hijacked Drummerman's account?[/quote]

Hey, I'm trying to be nice here
emotion-6.gif

[/quote]
My apologies, I didn't expect that one...

;-)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your responses!

I posed the question because I finally heard the Naim 5i yesterday and fell in love! I also fell in love with the Neat Motive 2's...something has to give, though, as buying both would put me over the budget (might cross my fingers for some luck in the used market).

A

Anonymous

Have you heard el toteme acoustique rainmaker yet?

he said shamelessly promoting his own speaker.

BTW, If you want to save moneys on the Nait. Call up electronics depot in niagara falls. I have reason to believe they may have a nait5i mk 1 (no ipod input on the front) demo for sale soon. It may be worth the shipping and/or getting down the Niagara Falls for. Tell them Rich sent ya!

A

Anonymous

Rich...

Can you give me more deets (warranty stuff, their phone #, etc)...also, you've got my addy for any other Toronto Hi Fi questions!

=o)

A

Anonymous

got it! take down your email before you get spammed to death man!!!!!

Mods! Save (delete) his email!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts