Naim HDX

Dr Beat

Sep 15, 2008
Visit site
HI Out There

I was looking at the NAIM HDX and was thinking, surely there must a cheaper way but just as efficient, without spending a bomb, to get HIFI quality music.

So, the question is, how can you rip CDs at CD quality, and without connecting to a PC as a server, use the storage device and connect it to the DAC and amp, to get a convenient HIFI quality music? Imagine all your music on one device and selecting what you want to hear without the hassle changing disc when you want variety.

I have read possible solutions but they all involve using the storage device connected to a PC/MAC, which is not optimal to keep the PC/MAC running all the time.I have looked at the Buffalo Terastation and the AVA RS3 devices, al great but need a PC to act as a server.

The NAIM HDX service offer is very good, but surely there are cheaper solutions. Any ideas anyone?

John Duncan

Nope, still too dear.

It's perfectly possible to create something similar without going all Naimy - Cambridge Audio do one for 400 quid. A PS3 or Apple TV is a perfectly respectable music server, to which a DAC can also be added. Apart from that, there are several NAS drives like the Terastation you mention which will run a music server client like Squeezecentre or Twonky or iTunes and so do not require a server to be running to be able to access the music on it - which you choose will depend on which client you want to use - look at Squeezebox, Apple Express, PS3, Media Centre Extenders, blah blah.

A

Anonymous

Of course there's a cheaper way!

A quick look on the back, and a look at an internal shot reveals it is based on a Mini iTX motherboard costing abotu £100.

The case is very nice though.

John Duncan

chebby:Two of our home computers spend at least 16 hours a day powered up

Yeah, ditto, so i don't see the problem either, but he did mention it so I demurred. Though I don't know how much power they consume...

A

Anonymous

daveh75:you could take a look at the arcam ms250 originally 3k now available for under 1300

ÿI have an Arcam MS250, a 24" imac and aÿMacbookÿpro. ÿOverkill I know
emotion-4.gif

The MS250 is a great cd player in its own right and has a good dac with its own hard drive. ÿIts not cheap, but its an option if you were considering buying a decent cd player but also wanted a music server. ÿI was tempted in buying a mac mini and dac, but decided against it.

manicm

Dr Beat, there are several to many options here:

1. Linn has their Sneaky DS for around 1000 quid which requires no PC for playback, just for ripping to your NAS, and setting the DS. So with a NAS, cabling and third-party setup you're probably looking at 1500 quid.

2. I would imagine the above is still too pricy for some, so another option is the Squeezebox Duet (or similarly named) by Logitech, and they have a pricier 'audiophile' version. However these are PC based, but according to the website using a NAS is possible but not supported by them.

3. There is the wireless Sonos system, and by all accounts the 2nd version is very good, but you need to ascertain this for yourself, and the total cost will be around the same as the Linn Sneaky DS solution.

4. True, CA and Arcam also have much cheaper hard-disk players but on average both received lukewarm reviews from your mainline magazines.

5. In light of above, and being open to a PC, I would agree with some that the most convenient, cost and performance effective system would be to get a cheap, decent laptop, a nice DAC (very good ones for 200 and under), and enjoy.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Came across this. The silly wordings on the top broadcasts the fact that it's not a serious piece of hifi equipment, but it's somewhat interesting nevertheless.

http://www.olive.us/products/opus4_overview.html?PHPSESSID=6586ee012485ecf7908e9b2c98dff240

ElectroMan

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
hifikrazy:Came across this. The silly wordings on the top broadcasts the fact that it's not a serious piece of hifi equipment, but it's somewhat interesting nevertheless.

http://www.olive.us/products/opus4_overview.html?PHPSESSID=6586ee012485ecf7908e9b2c98dff240

You mean 'Save the sound'? That's literally what their kit does, and it's really no more silly surely than Linn's 'Music for life'?

A friend who is very serious about hi-fi says his parents, who live in the 'States, have Olive equipment, and he rates it very highly!
emotion-2.gif

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Actually, it wasn't so much their company slogan "Save the Sound" that I have an issue with. It's the different music genres (Jazz, Blues, Rock, Punk, Country, Garage, etc etc... you get the picture!) that they have written on the top of the equipment that's a bit of a joke.

http://www.olive.us/downloads/opus_silver.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts