Naim DIN/RCA and vs competition?

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I am considering the Naim XS amplifier for my setup, but I have some gripes on paper against it. First off, a lot of people say it sounds its best via the DIN input, not the RCA, but how big a difference is there really?

Secondly, how well performs the XS compared to its competition? (I am also considering Sugden, Roksan and other alternatives)

Third, and last, what can be said about its sonic signature. Some say that it sounds best in the middle with rounded off bottom and top, others claim it to be very neutral - to me neutral means flat response all the way, but may not be the fact in-room?

Alternatives are also accepted with appreciation.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Good morning, I own an XS and have heard it via rca and din.

The basic sonic qualities of this amp are its pure musicality and rhythm. You are drawn into listening to a track as a whole and not individual instruments, some people prefer a bit more detail, but to me it depends what you want to do with your music, listen and enjoy or analyse, I would not describe it as neutral. Its like a full bodied glass of red wine full of character.

When I was auditioning amps the ONLY one that made me smile and got my foot tapping was the Naim, hence why it was purchased.

I had a Chord Chameleon RCA - > RCA fitted between my CDP and AMP and it sounded amazing, but I was intrigued by the DIN option. A quick phone call to the friendly people at Chord, £20 and a modified cable was on its way to me :). Plugged in, initially did not really seem to be much difference, if anything, the treble sounded a bit harsh!!

After some serious listening however the DIN connection, to my ears was slightly more detailed and offered a lot better 3d sounstage. I have now upgraded to a Chord Chorus, this cannot be modified, however the sonic gains of the cable change by far outweigh those of the connection type.

The XS sounds good without the DIN but it sounds more refined using it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
If your partnering equipment uses RCA then use the RCA and if the equipment is Naim then use the DIN leads provided. (I cannot see why this should be a gripe since Naim have provided both means of connection.)

You will need to listen to the Nait XS (like any other choices) to really get what it is about. Preferably with your speakers and preferably at home.

You can look up people's impressions of it - and all the reviews - but it won't tell you how good I think it is or (possibly) that you might not like it.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I know, but auditioning is very hard and I like to do my research before getting them home for auditioning.

I am a bit afraid that the XS will sound laidback in the top and that highhats and cymbals will lose their presence in the soundstage as some claim that it sounds as I said a bit laidback in the top end of the range.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jakja83:...as some claim that it sounds as I said a bit laidback in the top end of the range.

Try and ensure you garner opinions from people like 'True Blue' (above) who actually own the item. Their claims are more valid.

I have heard the XS a number of times with different speakers but never in my own room. I have heard True Blue's system in his listening room (with the same type of speakers I used to own and my old turntable/cartridge) so the guy knows what he is talking about.

The connectivity is not an issue. You have three options to play with. DIN-DIN (if you use all Naim), RCA-DIN and RCA-RCA. One of them should be good for you.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jakja83: I know, but auditioning is very hard and I like to do my research before getting them home for auditioning.

I am a bit afraid that the XS will sound laidback in the top and that highhats and cymbals will lose their presence in the soundstage as some claim that it sounds as I said a bit laidback in the top end of the range.

If you're worried about this, try the 152xs/155xs.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
jakja83:
I know, but auditioning is very hard and I like to do my research before getting them home for auditioning.

Try to find yourself a good dealer who will let you take a demo unit home to try over a weekend - that is only way to really judge something's suitability for your tastes and compatibility with your system in your room. My dealer takes a card payment as cover, then refunds it when you return the kit.

On the connection issue, you can get a Chord Crimson with DIN at one end for £40-£50 when you have the spare cash - but if you've tried the XS and like it with phono, then you can get that first and experiment with DIN later

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi:If you're worried about this, try the 152xs/155xs.

LOL. Predictable dealer response. If it's a problem (without even having heard it yet) just spend another £600 on something else you have not heard yet either
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I had done comparison between the DIN & RCA. The DIN seems to offer lower floor noise, more 3D and airy. I DIY my din with some VDH cabling and it definitely sound better then the stock DIN.

jakja83

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
But how can a RCA to DIN cable improve sound, isn`t the extra grounding what makes it sound better? What other amps in the price range performs on-par/outperforms Nait XS?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
jakja83:But how can a RCA to DIN cable improve sound, isn`t the extra grounding what makes it sound better? What other amps in the price range performs on-par/outperforms Nait XS?

I wouldn't bother getting all worried about this RCA vs DIN 'thing'. (The Nait XS has both anyway.) I certainly would not let it get in the way of trying to get to hear one for yourself.

A

Anonymous

jakja83:But how can a RCA to DIN cable improve sound, isn`t the extra grounding what makes it sound better? What other amps in the price range performs on-par/outperforms Nait XS?

If you are so concern bout Synergy with the Naim, why don't you get the CDP as well? I had try other brand of CDP but it just doesn't sound right and end up with a Naim CDP. Everything seems to be in place after that. My 2 cents worth.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Right, have spent the last 4 hours listening to my system Apple lossless -> Beresford Caiman - > Naim Nait XS

First two hours, chameleon RCA - > RCA

Sound very full bodied, good sounstage, no hint of treble harshness, if anything tending towards the lower ends. Very musical.

Last two hours chameleon RCA - > 5 Pin din

Like a viel has been lifted off the speakers, defined and clear by comparison, not that the RCA is bad. Speakers have moved out and back, detail levels have increased, however the oomph / dynamics / low end grunt have been tamed slighlty. Finding myself being drawn into individual instruments without loosing the purpose of the track. Not cluttered.

Personally I prefer the DIN sound, hence why I have another of my Chameleons @ chord being modified :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts