Naim CD5 or Rega Apollo or Roksan Kandy??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi. I have Epos 15.2's wired up to a Naim Nait 5i (recent purchases replacing Mission 761i's and a NAD C304). The source I am currently using is a Marantz CD52se CD player that I originally bought of a sailor called Noah. When I auditioned the Naim last week, the salesman reckoned that the difference I heard moving from the Missions to the Epos's and the NAD to the Naim would be mirrored if I upgraded my trusted 52 to one of the above CD's (actually he recommended the Naim at £850 as top choice, and the Roksan was my idea). However, my old 52 sounds great with the current set-up. Then again I thought my C304 was great until I heard the Naim. My questions are then: have things moved forward for CDs that much in the last 10 years? How good really was the CD52se (What Hifi raved about it at the time). If thing have improved, what CD's would you recommend as a shortlist for my set-up? The Rega and the Roksan would require me selling only a kidney, but I am prepared to lose and arm and a leg to appropriate the Naim if that is necessary. Or is there an option I haven't covered here? Is there a viable option under £600 even? Thanks for any help,

Hi Fi Decision

Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I have listened to the Roksan CDP and was not struck with it. Using the Naim Nait 5i for amplification I also listened to the Naim CD5i and the Rega Apollo. The Naim CD5i sounded much better. The mood of the music was put across very well. The Apollo sounded a bit coloured at the higher end and just not as good...although its not a bad CDP. As you have the Nait I would definately recommend the Naim CD5i....its by far the best out of the 3 CDP'syou're considering. I do hope you don't have to lose too many limbs to afford it.

A

Anonymous

Have you thought about going second hand for a Naim CD player, I recently purchased a Naim CD5 player on Ebay to partner my Supernait and the sound is awesome .................

A

Anonymous

Thanks Bluetorric -

Taking your idea forward, I managed to find a CD5i ex-dem (so soet of 2nd hand but with the safety of a guarantee) for £550 (a £300 discount). Very happy! And the CD52SE was bettered by a mile!

Thanks for your help guys,

DD.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts