• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

naim all in one vs rega dac/brio r ?

domenn

New member
Aug 13, 2010
42
0
0
Hi all , since the price of Naim Unitiqute dropped to £995 I can't stop thinking about to purchese this unit and sell my rega boxess ,reason is simple less cabless more functionalities,headphone output . Just not sure if the SQ would be worst or better , I want to keep my speakers but will be enough 30w amplification ? Also I would use SB touch with Unitiqute to listen Spotify , is dac in Unitiqute as good as Rega dac ? :? I am interested in your opinions and thank you

or there is Unitilite or older Uniti 1 , but no need for cdp , maybe Naim will release new and more powerful Unitiqute soon ?
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,232
4
19,195
domenn said:
Hi all , since the price of Naim Unitiqute dropped to £995 I can't stop thinking about to purchese this unit and sell my rega boxess ,reason is simple less cabless more functionalities,headphone output . Just not sure if the SQ would be worst or better , I want to keep my speakers but will be enough 30w amplification ? Also I would use SB touch with Unitiqute to listen Spotify , is dac in Unitiqute as good as Rega dac ? :? I am interested in your opinions and thank you

or there is Unitilite or older Uniti 1 , but no need for cdp , maybe Naim will release new and more powerful Unitiqute soon ?
In your case you are only going to get rid of one mains cable, one interconnect and one box by using an all-in-one. (When I went from seperates to all-in-one I lost three boxes and nine cables*.)

Is there really that much clutter?

*Tuner, CD player, DAC, 3 mains cables + one PSU, 2 Naim DIN connects, 2 x RCA phonos connecting DAC, 1 x 5 metre USB, one DC cable from PSU to DAC.
 

gregvet

New member
Dec 24, 2008
102
0
0
As good as the Unitiqute may be, it is a compromise 'lifestyle' product. I would be surprised if it was as good as what you already have, but the answer as ever is for you to demo and let us know what you think. If you continue to use the SB tho, you are paying for streaming functionality twice, which seems a little pointless IMO.

It will definitely sound different, only you can say if that is better tho.
 

Paul@HiFi-Lounge

New member
Sep 24, 2012
29
0
0
I have to agree with Steve, the UnitiQute is a great product, much more than just a lifestyle product in my opinion, but I would keep the Rega system if sound quality is your first concern.

Maybe worth looking at the UnitiLite when it becomes available though, see how that compares.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
I think the Unitilite should sound better than the UnitiQute!

i am waiting for my local dealer to get one so I can do a side by side comparison of it with the Rega Brio r/DAC, however when I do all the sums it will cost to change to a Unitilite and wether the SQ is going to be worth it is debatable & I need a phono stage!

I have a squeezebox going into my Rega DAC also playing lossless files from a iMac and I must say its pretty impressive.

However you have good synergy with your amp & speakers so personally if your happy with the sound why upset the applecart.

The Unitilite is going to have sound significantly better than my Rega setup for me to consider changing!
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
gregvet said:
Now thats an altogether different proposition lol
referring to the UnitiQute as a second system?

Yes I'm seriously thinking about, Naim have played a blinder with this since the price cut you can't ignore it, paired up with some Neat Iotas streaming from my iMac lossless!
 

gregvet

New member
Dec 24, 2008
102
0
0
stevebrock said:
gregvet said:
Now thats an altogether different proposition lol
referring to the UnitiQute as a second system?

Yes I'm seriously thinking about, Naim have played a blinder with this since the price cut you can't ignore it, paired up with some Neat Iotas streaming from my iMac lossless!
Yes that what what I meant, sorry if it wasnt obvious. I personally wouldnt replace separates with the UnitiQute as a primary system, but as a second system makes perfect sense. Im not a Naim fan personally, but that would be a pretty mean kitchen/bedroom system IMO if you like the Naim sound.
 

NHL

New member
Nov 12, 2009
83
0
0
Is there any chance you could try out a Denon Piccolo also? What is the difference really? I have a Denon M37 with absolutely no status whatsoever, only great sound!
 

jjbomber

Well-known member
Dec 22, 2006
748
261
19,270
The UnitiQute is 30W for 8 Ohm speakers and yours are 6 Ohm, so you'll get a bit extra. The short answer is that they will drive them no problem at all.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
demoed a Unitlite today.......

i will be keeping my Rega boxes, the Naim doesnt even come close for musicality thought it was bit harsh to be honest demoed with my RS1 too.

The Rega Brio r must be THE best amp under £500 and one of the best under £1000
 

omnibeard

New member
Dec 7, 2010
27
0
0
stevebrock said:
The Rega Brio r must be THE best amp under £500 and one of the best under £1000
A very good friend of mine has the Rega Brio R with a pair of Rega RS5 (also Rega DAC with Sonos) - I have to say if he didn't have that set up it's what I would go for. Is that stupid of me?

The Brio powers the RS5 beautifully - you might not expect it to, but it really does. It's a kick ass little amp. That set up plays all sorts of music fantastically. I'll swap amps with him at some point, but will be amazed if we find much of an improvement with my (much more expensive) amp.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
omnibeard said:
stevebrock said:
The Rega Brio r must be THE best amp under £500 and one of the best under £1000
A very good friend of mine has the Rega Brio R with a pair of Rega RS5 (also Rega DAC with Sonos) - I have to say if he didn't have that set up it's what I would go for. Is that stupid of me?

The Brio powers the RS5 beautifully - you might not expect it to, but it really does. It's a kick ass little amp. That set up plays all sorts of music fantastically. I'll swap amps with him at some point, but will be amazed if we find much of an improvement with my (much more expensive) amp.
Not at all!

The Brio R still surprises me to this day and i hope to get some RS3 as part of my AV set up and use the RS1 for rears
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS