NAD, Wharfdale and generally worsening sound...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All,

I have the new NAD C315BEE amp and NAD C515 CDP,

Originally this was running a pair of MA BR2's in my small study and sounded great, we recently moved it in a TV area - strange shape, 3m wide by 10 m long, the MA's just didn't fill the room with enough sound, even with using moderate volume levels.

Due to limited availability of stock / brands in South Africa I bought a pair of Wharefdale Diamond 9.5's - a lot better - more room filling, but they don't sound right - boomy bass (tried the sock in port trick), I don't listen to music that loud, but can't seem to get a 'right' sound out of these.

I know the Nad amp has a reputation of being a little loose at the bottom end is this contributing?

Appreciate any advice and or componenets which will help sort this out...

Regards

Anthony

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
3m x 10m ?

Assuming the ceilings are also around 3m (or less) then this sounds like a gigantic 'waveguide' (hence the boomy bass from standing-waves) and a pretty big space to expect a NAD 315BEE to fill.

I have just used an online calculator that shows the wavelength of a 34hz audio frequency is almost exactly the length of your room. (10.18 metres) at 25C ambient temperature. Your Wharfedales are quoted to have a frequency bandwidth down to 35hz (-3db) and 30hz (-6db).

Do you have suspended wooden floors as well? (A 33ft x 10 ft cavity under the floor is also going to play havoc with deep bass especially with floorstanders.

A

Anonymous

The floors are wood block on concrete (covered with rugs) with a wooden ceiling - I just tried the MA's again and they sound thin and 'reedy' - when playing at my normal listening levels I never have the amp louder than quarter to...

Possibly the amp is not exerting enough control over the bigger speakers?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Experiment with pulling the speakers right out from the walls/corners, toeing them in a little, ensuring the space is broken up with wall cabinets/bookshelves etc.

Get a rug down in front of the speakers between your listening position and the speakers.

I assume the Wharfedales are on levelled spikes. If not then spike them and try again. Maybe even get them onto a couple of stacked paving stones to raise their level and isolate them even more.

If you enjoy mostly lower levels of volume then the C315BEE is probably OK but in a large room maybe not. Is it practical to listen across the width of the room? (3 metres is a bit of a pinch so probably not.)

Is it too late to exchange the amp with a NAD C325BEE (or the new C326BEE)?

A

Anonymous

Have tried that - much to the consternation of 'She who must be obeyed!' LOL

Although the room is large, the listening position is around 4.5 m away, but I gues it still needs to fill the room,

I suspect I might need to upgrade the amp - unfortunately in SA swop outs isnt an option!

So will have to look around for what else I can find.....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Antman:Originally this was running a pair of MA BR2's in my small study and sounded great...

Err, is it totally out of the question to move it back?

Maybe use the Wharfedales as the beginnings of a 'beefier' 5.1 based AV system for your TV room at a later stage.

A

Anonymous

Actually not a bad idea! I already have the Wharfedale SW150, Diamond 9 centre (although I need to get the larger model) and the DFS surrounds, I was using a Panasonic XR55-SA A/V amp which was well reviewed a couple of years ago - class D 100w rms x 5

Will have to negotiate with the missus! I also bought a pair of the Diamond 9.1 anniversary editions a last year - with the real wood walnut finish they look great and dont sound bad either...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts