NAD M51 and PMC PB1i Signatures a good match ?

Theo

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I have enjoyed several years of great audio with my setup and currently looking to upgrade. The idea is to get a NAD M51 as an external DAC to my slimdevices transporter and also to run it direct to power amps. I didn't get a chance for a home demo to try this out but just wanted to check whether the experts here might have an opinion.

Rest of the system ? Slimdevices Transporter -> Stereoknight TVC Passive Pre -> Emotiva XPA-1 -> PMC PB1i Signatures

How does it sound? Extremely transparent, lots of detail, great big soundstage and fantastic at low SPL listening

What do I want to improve on with a new DAC? All aspects plus more scale & authority particularly with lesser quality recordings.

The worry I have is that the M51 is known to be a bit laid back so might not pair well with the PMC PB1i Signatures which are already on the warm side.

Any thoughts or suggestions ?

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I can only vouch for the M51, nice step up from my Benchmark DAC1 that was a bit too clinical paired with my studio monitors.

Sounds is very natural and detailed right now.

I won't describe the sound as laid-back though. Same advice as always, try to listen to it first in your own system..

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The PB1 sigs are great as is the NAD but I have a reservation on using the M51 as a pre-amp. I seem to recall from when I was a NAD dealer that the pre-out was a weak point - certainly with revealing speakers on the other end. I always set it up just as a DAC. If you do wish to go down this route I look to a home demo first.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts