NAD D3020 with Kef ls50?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
This is what Stereophile had to say: "- but toward the end of the listening period I hooked it up to a pair of glorious KEF LS50s ($1499/pair) and turned the volume up high. I was bowled over by the sound, which easily matched the best I'd ever heard at home, and reminded me in many ways of what I'd recently experienced with the tubed Croft Phono Integrated ($1895)."

The above was taken from this review: http://www.stereophile.com/content/entry-level-35

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
I recently had the NAD D3020 at home for testing as I was looking for a neat amp for my desktop.I hooked up to my LS50 in my main listening room too.Long story short, for the money it is indeed a very nice system hard to beat but to be honest ,besides the internal dac of the NAD is just ok and nothing special (best use analogue with external dac or direct async. usb connection),i don´t think the NAD is up to the LS50 missing power and don´t let show what they really could but at the same time I must admit that sound is one of the best in comparison with other amps say up to something like the Arcam FMJ 19 . I would only recommend this combo if your room is really small (but then again problem with the LS50 as they need place to breathe to perform) and you would like to have a small unit with features the NAD provides and listen at low levels.Also keep in mind the NAD gets unhealthy hot expecially with the LS50 if you like to power up.

My picks and units to consider with LS50 if you don´t want spend big money would be Pioneer A 50 or A70 if you need a dac too and if you want go small Nuforce DDA-100.These would squeeze out the best of the Ls50 within their price and you must spend 2-3 times more on amplification to get significant better results.

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
The LS50's are cracking speakers, I initially drove mine with a Rotel RA-11, better IMO than the rest of budget amps I tried, then I used a Primare I22 and this offerred more control & depth. Tried my Cyrus mono X200's on them, brilliant.

Now this leads to, -- I've sold the LS50's, to a friend, and she has partnered them with a Pioneer A50 amp, which is very nice, still controlled and not bright, a nice listen. So I echo what esra said, the Kefs do need a decent degree of amplification, better, brings benefits, but at a cost ! As cno has shown, there is good evidence that the Nad will be OK, best just demo them, you'll know in a few hours of listening.

TRENDING THREADS