NAD D 3020 work around for Airplay streaming

koko83

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hi Folks,

new guy here, about to setup his first decent 2 channel stereo. My options are limited as far as space, and aesthetics (Mrs. Koko has weighed in strongly on this point) so I have narrowed my search to NAD D 3020. Form factor is a portion, and overall capability is the rest.

This search started as a way to improve on my television/movie watching experience, and I was ready to pull the trigger on a Paradigm Millenia CT setup, however after waiting a bit, I realized I would be limited as far as potential expansion. I would only ever have 2 sources... my telelvision, and the analog.

So enter this NAD product, so favourably reviewed. I have an awful lot of music stored in high quality ALAC or AIFF on my desktop iMac, which I currently enjoy streaming via airplay to my Samsung DAE750 (no snickering please). It's a beautiful little arrangement. I would like to have the same enjoyment with my new D 3020, and so I'm thinking I could pickup an airport express, and connect it via digital input to the 3020, and Bob's your uncle.... am I missing anything? Using the digital in should mean I get the benefit of the on board DAC, and the only potential limitation to sound quality would be the robustness of my network.

Any insight is appreciated. :beer:

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
So what is your question exactly? Looks like you got it figured out already :). You're right that connecting an Airport Express digitally is a good solution: Airplay supports lossless formats, so your ALAC / AIFF files will be streamed in the highest quality and your NAD can convert the lossless stream to an analog signal...

koko83

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
If I've got it figured out, I've impressed myself. Really just starting to get into hifi in general, and needed to ensure I'm not overlooking anything before spending my $. Thanks MMG!

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
It's a great setup, certainly if you don't have much space. However (as always) listen to the system to make sure you like the sound before spending those hard-earned $.

Which speakers are you planning on getting with this amp? It's not the most powerful amp, so I'd avoid anyyhing power-hungry.

koko83

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey MMG. I've been auditioning with a few different setups. I'm very impressed with what this little thing can do. Was at a local dealer yesterday, who had a bryston digital player run through a bryston dac to the NAD, to a set of Paradigm Studio 20's. I had him disconnect the DAC, and run directly through the NAD. VERY impressed. I wasn't certain there was enough oomph from the 3020, but it drove these speakers beautifully.

Then listened to a pair of Focal Aria 906. The same Aaron Neville track had more perceptable bass (like I could hear the guys fingers on the strings) and slightly toned down brights (horns/his voice).

So I'm between these for the time being. May audition a few more at another retailer with different options. I've heard with Studio 10's, and some lower end Focals (705/6) and so far I'm leaning towards a bit more from my speakers.

I do have a question though, and I can't seem to locate an answer on the forums... If I add a bit of kit to my iTunes (Channel D, for instance) can I convince Airplay to stream 24/96khz to airport express? Or will the AE always downgrade before output...? Any other way to get high rez files wirelessly to the NAD D 3020?

mmg

Dec 24, 2013
Visit site
Those look like good speakers for that amp. Maybe also audition the KEF LS50?

For your other question: no, the Airport Express will only output 16/44.1, no matter what engine you use. AFAIK there aren't any airplay devices that output at a higher bit depth or frequency. Even if they did exist, the question would remain if you'd be able to hear the difference...

koko83

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hearing so much about these LS50... must find somewhere that has both NAD and KEF lineup to audition the combo. Interesting looking speakers too...

koko83

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Pulled the trigger on this device today. Set it up with an old pair of polk bookshelves I had kicking around to test potential position of whatever speakers I land on (layout of my space neccesitates actually placing speakers in a bookshelf).

I had a listen with the focal aria 906. I took some of my own music on USB for the sake of audition.

This amp and speaker setup sounded AMAZING when playing a cd in the shop, and indeed, with most of the music I brought with me.

The one exception was a high rez (24/96) .aiff of Black Crowes Remedy (my rock and roll test track of choice). The driver was REALLY jumping to keep up with this song. The seemingly knowledgable dude I spoke with seemed to think this was a combination of file type, and the fact that he was streaming across a NAD bluetooth dongle from the stores PC, using VLC as a music player. He fiddled with the volume on VLC some, and it seemed to calm a little, but still way to much movement from the driver... Very odd. Any ideas? I loved everything else these speakers did... including "compton" by Kendrick Lamar.

baandwills21

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Hi koko (and anyone esle reading),

Thanks for your post.

I am a real newbie to all this (first tv purchase in about 7 years and first ever audio purchase for a TV setup.

I am thinking of buying the NAD D 3020 as well for my TV (hopefully a nice samsung). I was going to go with a soundbar, but I found that even the nicer ones (re sonos), did not sound as good as a bad amp and two speakers (though I am not sure why). Maybe I am mistaken or it is just me, but a simple receiver seemed better.

Then I came across the NAD D 3020, which seems to fulfill my needs (2 or 2.1 sound), plus bluetooth for my iPhone. But alas iPhones do not support bluetooth apxt. So I starting searching for a workaround and came across this post.

One question I had was why did you choose the airport express instead of the AppleTV, maybe you are not connecting this to a TV? AppleTV has audio output as well.

Any thoughts if this would work well with the Triton Seven Tower or Trinton Three Tower (which has some base at least)? http://www.goldenear.com/products/triton-series#/?gktab=1

Also, how do you control volume? I assume from the input device....

Thanks!

npoguy

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Curious about your reference to bluetooth on the D3020--bluetooth does work well from an Ipad, phone, mbp, they just do not support apxt. Have you tried it to see if you notice a difference in quality? I also use mine with an Apple TV and don't notice much of a difference between the two sources.

0ads0

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Hi there

Just wondering how you connected the airport express to the NAD d3020? What kind of cable did you use?

Thanks very much.

koko83 said:
Hi Folks,

new guy here, about to setup his first decent 2 channel stereo. My options are limited as far as space, and aesthetics (Mrs. Koko has weighed in strongly on this point) so I have narrowed my search to NAD D 3020. Form factor is a portion, and overall capability is the rest.

This search started as a way to improve on my television/movie watching experience, and I was ready to pull the trigger on a Paradigm Millenia CT setup, however after waiting a bit, I realized I would be limited as far as potential expansion. I would only ever have 2 sources... my telelvision, and the analog.

So enter this NAD product, so favourably reviewed. I have an awful lot of music stored in high quality ALAC or AIFF on my desktop iMac, which I currently enjoy streaming via airplay to my Samsung DAE750 (no snickering please). It's a beautiful little arrangement. I would like to have the same enjoyment with my new D 3020, and so I'm thinking I could pickup an airport express, and connect it via digital input to the 3020, and Bob's your uncle.... am I missing anything? Using the digital in should mean I get the benefit of the on board DAC, and the only potential limitation to sound quality would be the robustness of my network.

Any insight is appreciated. :beer:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
0ads0 said:
Hi there

Just wondering how you connected the airport express to the NAD d3020? What kind of cable did you use?

Thanks very much.

Use a 3.5mm mini optical to Toslink cable. (3.5mm mini-optical at the AirPort Express end and Toslink to the 'Optical 1' input on the NAD.)

There is also an 'AUX2/Optical 2' input which doubles up as either a 3.5mm (analogue) mini-jack input, or a 3.5mm mini-optical input. So you could use a 3.5mm mini-optical to 3.5mm mini-optical cable (especially if the Toslink optical input is busy with some other source (like a television).

0ads0

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks ever so much. My knowledge doesn't go much further than analogue to analogue I'm afraid, so I really apprecaite your help. I'm guessing the mini-optical to toslink will be superior to the mini-optical to mini-optical?

Is this the sort of thing I should be buying: www.futureshop.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5468#.VkyfT9_hByo

Thanks again for your advice.

chebby said:
0ads0 said:
Hi there

Thanks very much.

Use a 3.5mm mini optical to Toslink cable. (3.5mm mini-optical at the AirPort Express end and Toslink to the 'Optical 1' input on the NAD.)

There is also an 'AUX2/Optical 2' input which doubles up as either a 3.5mm (analogue) mini-jack input, or a 3.5mm mini-optical input. So you could use a 3.5mm mini-optical to 3.5mm mini-optical cable (especially if the Toslink optical input is busy with some other source (like a television).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Any optical to optical connection will be the same quality whether 3.5mm mini or full-size Toslink.

The AQ Forest cable will be fine if a little expensive. I use the same cable but in a 0.75m length with my new AirPort Express (for AirPlay).

It was the only cable of that exact connectivity (without having to use adaptors), in the exact length I wanted, at a reasonable price (£25) from someone i'd heard of.

0ads0

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
You're right, it is a bit pricey for the AQ cable. I've had a look elsewhere and found the "TECHLINK iWires 3.5mm Optical to TOSLINK Optical Cable" for only £7.60. It's only 40cm but will probably do the job, I hope.

Do you have any experience with multiroom Airplay - I don't think Mac OS can do it out of the box - but Airfoil for Mac looks like it could be a good solution.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts