NAD C545BEE versus the Marantz CD63 MKII KI Signature Classic

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
The NAD is fast becoming the best CD player under £500 at the moment. It won the review in the latest magazine (out today), against the likes of the Marantz CD6200.

But how does this player compare to the likes of the Marantz CD MK II KI Signature, which in it's day was seen as the best Under £500 and beyond!!

Has technology moved on so much that the more modern players are far superior to the older versions, at the same price range?

Lastly, if the NAD is far superior to the Marantz of old, I am wasting my money when I'm going to be using it with an AV amp (Onkyo 606), rather than a two channel amp?

Thanks.....

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Good questions.

I can't comment on that particular Marantz CD player. However, I did buy the Marantz CD5001 and sent it back after about 1 month of playtime. This player is cheaper than the NAD 545, but still considered a good offering by Marantz. I personally was not happy with the laid back nature and lack of crisp detail offered by the Marantz. In fact, it was inferior to the older Denon CD player I was replacing.

The NAD C545 I can comment on as I have been using it for a couple of months now. The more I hear it the more impressed I am. This is the best CD player I have ever owned. It will dig up bags of clean tight detail. This CD player makes it hard to stop listening. Older music is exiciting again. I highly recommend this unit.

Ironically, I am taking a huge risk and upgrading to the C565. I want the digital input and USB interfaces provided by this new unit. The dealer is letting me upgrade for only the price difference.

The C565 uses different, more sophisticated technology than the C545 so it may sound different. I'm hoping it's at least as good as the C545. The C545 is a bargain.

T

the record spot

THink you'd find that the CD63-II KI was an entirely different animal to the 5001 descendant. It's like comparing apples and oranges; they're both fruit but there the similarity ends. Likewise, the two CD players were both Marantz products but that's about it.

Reckon it'd be an interesting shootout though; mint condition CD63 Mk2 KI against the NAD 545. I mean, I think the NAD's good, but were these out at the same time rather than 15 years apart, I'd be going for the Marantz - it was a killer player in its day.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I had a NAD C542 and still have a Marantz cd63se. The NAD was nice and musical warm sounding machine and a little smoother than the Marantz. However the Marantz on my system was more detailed and open sounding machine with a crisper top end and more enjoyable overall ( more real and vibrant sound). I felt the NAD was a good machine but Marantz was better overall. The marantz still beat most cd players under 500 pounds.

I even compared it to Marantz cd7001 (to digital -as one mag said a clinical sounding midrange), The marantz cd63se was more balanced tonally. Even compared it to the Arcam cd73t - it had a wider soundstage but the marantz was deeper and was more exciting for pop music, the cambridge c640 c v2 was more vibrant and punchy but lacked the natural sounding mids of the marantz.

You would have to probably go the next level up - the rega apollo or consonance cd120 linear to beat it. Cheaper modern players may be smoother and touch more detailed in areas - but its overall soundstaging,musicalness and detail are hard to beat.

As they say in Aussie thats my 20c worth.

Cheers,

Steve.

matthewpiano

Well I've had Arcam CD73T, Cambridge Audio 740C, Denon DCD1500AE, Sony SCD-XA1200ES, and NAD C521BEE.

My current CD63MKII KI-Signature is substantially better than all of them. Its an absolutely stunning CD player, to the point where I'm buying a spare laser mech whilst they are still available so that I can repair it in the future.

I'd love to see a shoot-out between the Marantz and the new NAD though. It would be nice to think that things have improved substantially but, on the evidence I've seen so far, I don't believe they have.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I've had my KI signature approx 12 years and have always been pleased with it. However, the other day I suddenly realised just how long I've had it and thought to check on potential replacements. I came across the following on eBay and wondered if anyone else has seen it, used the service, or has an informed opinion on the worth or otherwise of the service offered?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marantz-CD-63-KI-cd63-SE-CD-Player-Level-1-Upgrade_W0QQitemZ250389223753QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates?hash=item250389223753&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

I would be interested in your considered responses.

EDIT: Even more interestingly, would I be better off adding a Cambridge Audio DACMagic to the Marantz instead? Unfortunately, my Audiolab 8000S amp only takes analogue inputs though, and I'll run out of power sockets!

A

Anonymous

Sorry to drag up this old thread, does anyone know where I can get a laser mech from for one of these. I have one thats been sitting about for 10 years as it stopped reading discs. I'd like to fix it if the parts are available???

A

Anonymous

contact these guys who offer upgrades on ebay ...

might be better to just buy another one in mint condition off ebay ... you can pick them up for under £110 on ebay, then sell yours for spares ... you may get £50

A

Anonymous

i owned the marantz 63 KI for about 10 years and replaced the transport three times. the infamous philips transport has the tendency to fail.

that aside, the 63 KI was a great player in its time and i think modern players have overtaken it in terms of overall performance not just in terms of transport reliability but also DAC chip design.

The nad has a very clean, dynamic and upfront presentation whilst the marantz 63 KI is less detailed and transparent and could be a bit unruly at times even though its warmish character would still 'seduce' many listeners even today.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts