NAD C515BEE or Onkyo DX-7555 CD Player?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I’m in the market for a CD player to play Redbook and CD-Rs exclusively. My absolute high is $450 US total. I’m also not comfortable buying a used CD player. So this rules out a lot of players. I’ve narrowed my choices to two – The NAD C515BEE and the Onkyo DX-7555. There are no stores near me that have either one out to hear. I’ve read a huge amount of mostly positive pro and user reviews for both players and I can’t decide which way to go. The list price on the NAD is $300. I can get it new for a total cost of $270. The Onkyo has a list price of $700. I can get it new for a total cost of $435, from two very reputable dealers.

There’s a part of me that’s drawn to the Onkyo simply because it has an original list price that more than doubles the list price of the NAD. Selling at $600 The Absolute Sound felt that it was “a great bargain.” And at $700 Stereophile felt that it was “an excellent value.” So at $400, it seems like a steal. I’ve read that Onkyo is introducing a new CD player in June and I’m guessing that I’m seeing a price drop based on the fact that it’s being replaced. Considering the huge difference between the list prices of these two units I can’t help but feel that the Onkyo is in a different class. But I really don’t know if that’s the case -- prices come down for various reasons. As far as the NAD is concerned, What Hi-Fi? gave the C515BEE a very good review, and The Absolute Sound gave it a Product of the Year award in 2008.

User reviews are generally good for both of them. But of course there are upsides and downsides to both of these players, as there are for all CD players. Does anyone have an opinion between these two?

My amp is an NAD C-340 integrated which I bought in 2000. I have no idea how well the Onkyo will match with this amp. I listen exclusively through my Grado SR-225 headphones through the headphone output of the amp. I don’t even own speakers.

Tibor

Oct 23, 2007
Visit site
I have not tried the Onkyo, but I have the Nad C 515BEE. The Nad has a very good sound without any harshness, natural and detailed butÿitÿ has quality problems like noisy disc spinning (veryÿannnoyingÿwhenÿyouÿlistenÿmusicÿatÿlowÿvolume), the disc tray open/close mechanism is unreliable. I suppose the Onkyo has a superior quality. Go for Onkyo.

A

Anonymous

Can you not find a better NAD CD player like the C545? If, you are willing to spend more money why C515?

A

Anonymous

I agree with noble - if you're willing to spend $700 on the Onkyo (which I've not listened to and unlikely ever will), why have you not considered the NAD C545 which costs about £350.00?

matthewpiano

I'm a big fan of NAD gear but I'm dubious about the longevity and build quality of their CD players. I've had a NAD C521BEE and experienced issues with it that no other CD player has ever given me, and there are several tales about other NAD players being noisy, having problems with skipping or experiencing CD drawer issues.

I'd be trying the Onkyo but also looking at the Cambridge Audio and Marantz players which are excellent.

A

Anonymous

I've had the NAD521BEE and NADC542 and they were both faultless. It must just be you, Matthew and your erratic temperament
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot for your responses. Just to be clear, I wouldn't be paying $700 for the Onkyo. That was the original list price. I can get it for $400 US (£275). Tax brings it to about $435.

To address the C545BEE suggestions -- I have considered it. The cost for me is basically the same as for the Onkyo. The reason I took it out of the running (maybe completely illogically) was based on my fear of actually finding the sound too detailed. The What Hi-Fi? review referred to it as "unbelievably detailed." And one user who owns it said that it's very revealing of any faults in recordings (or words to that effect). I listen with headphones which are pretty forward (Grado SR-225s), and I didn't want a player that was incredibly unforgiving. I listen to some rock and jazz CDs (mostly from the 60s and 70s). But the majority of my CDs are classical. And the recordings run from great to a lot less than great. I love a great recording, but performance is always my first priority.

I also felt that, based on its original list price, the Onkyo might be a higher grade unit than the C545BEE. More bang for your buck (or pop for your pound - I would have tried something with quid but I can't think of anything that starts with Q).

I have considered both Cambridge and Marantz players in my price range, but for various reasons finally narrowed my choices to the two I mentioned (the Onkyo DX-7555 and the NAD C515BEE).

Any more thoughts on any of this rambling?
Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts