NAD C326BEE drops a star...?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I don't want to start sounding like one of these guys that moans when they've bought a 5 star product from What Hi-Fi's recommendation, only to see it drop a star rating in a later issue... (too late!), but being the owner of said Amplifier, C545BEE cd player and EB acoustic's, am I right in thinking that I'm going to get better audio from the current budget champs from Marantz.?

The NAD set-up won a Group-Test against the Marantz set-up (with other speakers, I know..) and the'instant upgrade' caption mentioned using a pair of EB1s. In the review the NAD amp received a 5 star rating against the similarly lauded Marantz amp. Now I open my lovely new edition of What hi-Fi to see The NAD has dropped a star... Panic stations!!!

But seriously though, will the Marantz proove a better set-up with the EB1s than the NAD?

Other equipment: Atlas Equator superior, Chord Crimson Superscreen cable.

Any expert advice appreciated.

No. Please no. N-n-n-no! not another Nad thread...
emotion-1.gif

((now fully composed))....the Nad 326 hasn't become a bad amp overnight. In fact it hasn't changed at all. What happens is since the Group Test you are talking about, Rotel has introduced the 'SE' version of the RA-04. Along with the Marantz (remember this is not an all-in-one test) it is deemed, with the latest competitors, that the Nad's low-end values, that one or two others offer slightly better value. So, unless you want to take a sideways step, and you are determined to upgrade, start looking at mid-range amps.

Just by reading the original post I detect this system was purchased on star ratings, perhaps omitting an audition?

If you like the sound, stick with it, because from personal experience, it could end tears. remember, music is for enjoying not cogitating.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
NAD 326 has always been a four star product, don't know whey they gave it five stars in the first place. I find that What Hi-Fi prefers bright, energetic, highly detailed amps over dull, laid-back, warm amps.

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I just don't understand the fuss over the WHF star ratings. WHF is just one mag in a multitude of mags out there, each with their own opinion. What WHF perceives to be a 5 star product may have a totally different perception by another mag. As an example, another British mag, in a blind group test, rated the Arcam A38 as the run away winner. WHF gave the Arcam A38 only 3 stars. Incidentally,the test group of amplifiers also included the Cyrus 8XP which WHF gave a full 5 stars and in this mag's opinion the Cyrus lagged far behind the Arcam and many of the other amplifiers in this group test. WHF has always been known for its all consuming love for Cyrus whose amplifiers and CD players have consistently won product of the year for many years now. The bottom line is not to believe any mag and their ratings, but just go out there and listen for yourself and make up your own mind.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sabby:I just don't understand the fuss over the WHF star ratings. WHF is just one mag in a multitude of mags out there, each with their own opinion. What WHF perceives to be a 5 star product may have a totally different perception by another mag. As an example, another British mag, in a blind group test, rated the Arcam A38 as the run away winner. WHF gave the Arcam A38 only 3 stars. Incidentally,the test group of amplifiers also included the Cyrus 8XP which WHF gave a full 5 stars and in this mag's opinion the Cyrus lagged far behind the Arcam and many of the other amplifiers in this group test. WHF has always been known for its all consuming love for Cyrus whose amplifiers and CD players have consistently won product of the year for many years now. The bottom line is not to believe any mag and their ratings, but just go out there and listen for yourself and make up your own mind.

Fully agree
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

It's subjective, I know. One thing's for sure I'm much happier with performance of the NAD set-up than with the Marantz all-in-one that I now use for DAB radio duties.

As far as 'buying a whole load of five star products' goes, well that certainly was the case for the speakers, which you'll all know can only be ordered direct from the company. I noticed a massive difference in performance from the Tannoy Mercury F1s that I used previously. In fact, the 'low end' performance of the NAD never dominates the music, to my ears anyway, and I suppose that's what matters!

A

Anonymous

mine sounds great , the more music i play the more im appreciating how good it is , and for e320 .. a steal ..

T

the record spot

Doesn't mean a whole lot of anything - if yo enjoy what your amp's doing in line with the rest of your set-up, what's the problem?! One star's more for the 6003's going to send the Marantz to your address? I'd suggest you'd be better off looking at the PM8003, or find a deal on the brilliant PM7001-KI or earlier PM17-KI is you wanted something from the company that represents a real step up.

bluebrazil

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
i agree with others, dont consider the marantz 6003. Your speakers can perform with midrange amps, if you feel an amp should be your next buy i would suggest you save up for something nearer the 1k mark new and use the saving up time to demo as much as you can and look out for bargains

A

Anonymous

csq2:NAD 326 has always been a four star product, don't know whey they gave it five stars in the first place. I find that What Hi-Fi prefers bright, energetic, highly detailed amps over dull, laid-back, warm amps.

The last thing I would describe any nad amp as being is dull. The review in this months mag implies quite the opposite. I love the full sound from nad amps and it suits some speakers very well. I would have the 4 star nad over the 5 star marantz any day. The difference between 4 and 5 stars is often down to minor issues and personal taste. The rotel got 5 stars but leans towards being bright so why give it 5 if the nad got a star chopped for having a little too much balance towards bass? Subjectivity and personal taste of the reviewer probably.

With regard to the original post, people need to stop wanting to change equipment just because a new product comes out that makes your product lose a star or gets a slightly better review. If the product you have sounds great and you like it why do you need to change for a new one with an extra star?

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:OK, so it has dropped a star, but does it still sound as good as the day you chose it? If so, why does it matter?

Sage and sensible advice as always, succinct and to the point.

But where are the Roth's? Surely you haven't fell out with them already!!

matthewpiano

Sizzers:matthewpiano:OK, so it has dropped a star, but does it still sound as good as the day you chose it? If so, why does it matter?

No I still have them and they are still brilliant but so are the Q floorstanders and the latter work fabulously with the Pioneer amp. The Roths are set to be utilised in a second system.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano:Sizzers:matthewpiano:OK, so it has dropped a star, but does it still sound as good as the day you chose it? If so, why does it matter?

No I still have them and they are still brilliant but so are the Q floorstanders and the latter work fabulously with the Pioneer amp. The Roths are set to be utilised in a second system.

Hmmm And what else might that consist of? *curious*

matthewpiano

Sizzers:matthewpiano:Sizzers:matthewpiano:OK, so it has dropped a star, but does it still sound as good as the day you chose it? If so, why does it matter?

Hmmm And what else might that consist of? *curious*

Probably Rotel RCD965BX - Sansui AU2900 and the Roths, but possibly the NAD amp in place of the Sansui. Will have to see!

T

the record spot

Meh, dump the NAD, flavour of the month mate! Get a singing Sansui to show off what your kit can do!
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I noticed that the Cambridge Audio 650A and the Yamaha A-S700 both dropped stars too.

In both cases the reasons given for the down-grading would actually make the products sound more appealling (at least on paper) to this reader.

Both are mentioned as having a big soundstage and lots of detail and the Yamaha re-review for this group test also talks about how easy it is to listen for extended periods of time and praises it's build quality and style.

As always there is no shame in not having the same taste as one particular magazine's reviewers.

Ultimately the differences between a bunch of amps in the same price range are going to be much smaller than the differences between the 'speakers people will hang off the end of them and the differences in the surroundings they get played in.

Of course the big problem for manufacturers of the downgraded products (especially at this price level) will be that hifi showrooms don't get a lot of income vs shelf space for a £350 amp, and will tend to only stock the items that can sport 5 star review credentials in the form of little posters and stickers and review reprints to re-assure first time buyers and move purchases along faster.

Although I doubt that will concern Cambridge Audio much given that their product is only sold in one UK chain and Richer Sounds are hardly going to dump the 650A from their stock
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts