Nad c326 Bee + Monitor Audio Rx6 (Got them today)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Finally picked up the speakers last night and received the Nad C326 bee in the mail this morning.

Still needs to break in etc.

i wasn't very impressed with the nads, not even with the bass (even though they're supposed to be bass heavy).

Maybe then just need to break in a little.

Just got cheap copper strands cable (US$10 for 50 feet)

A

Anonymous

Initial impression: System horribly bright.

Ended up biwiring them (because I had a lot of cheap copper cable)

Posting this just for the record, but it makes a difference of night and day. Cheapest upgrade possible for my setup. :)

Not too bright any more, base just right.

probably just $4 worth of cable made that big a difference.

Question for folks:

a) Suggestions for a dac with this system? I'm currently running this through my Zune HD plugged into a headphone Dac I have.

b) will solid copper cable (at 10x the price sound even twice as good?): (with and without biwiring?)

c) Will an upgrade to a Nad C356 make any difference? ($500 => $800). I'm thinking of the upgrade so I can possibly do a turntable down the road. With Arcam, i'll have to go up to atleast A28 and that's double the price of a Nad 356, so no thank you. I just don't have access to the marantz for an audition, so can't get one of those, unfortunately.

Thanks !

A

Anonymous

One more thing: The dealer sold me a pair of Monitor Audio Monitor 4s for US $125 each. (Street price $250 each)That's a great price, I guess, but I have no clue what I'll do with them.

Any ideas before I bring them back to the dealer? Anyone know if they're any good. I can't be bothered to open up the box and then pack it back up and return them.
emotion-1.gif

MoData:

Initial impression: System horribly bright.

Ended up biwiring them (because I had a lot of cheap copper cable)

Posting this just for the record, but it makes a difference of night and day. Cheapest upgrade possible for my setup. :)

Not too bright any more, base just right.

probably just $4 worth of cable made that big a difference.

Question for folks:

a) Suggestions for a dac with this system? I'm currently running this through my Zune HD plugged into a headphone Dac I have.

b) will solid copper cable (at 10x the price sound even twice as good?): (with and without biwiring?)

c) Will an upgrade to a Nad C356 make any difference? ($500 => $800). I'm thinking of the upgrade so I can possibly do a turntable down the road. With Arcam, i'll have to go up to atleast A28 and that's double the price of a Nad 356, so no thank you. I just don't have access to the marantz for an audition, so can't get one of those, unfortunately.

Thanks !

Easy! don't judge it yet. It usually takes about a week to hear any difference. Give it two weeks and if it sounds bright then decide.

A

Anonymous

I understand plastic penguin thinks it's a good idea to run the monitor audio rx6 with Arcams.

Just wondering if anyone's tried this sort of combo (Nad + MA rx6) with either the Arcam rDac or the DacMagic?

MoData:

I understand plastic penguin thinks it's a good idea to run the monitor audio rx6 with Arcams.

Just wondering if anyone's tried this sort of combo (Nad + MA rx6) with either the Arcam rDac or the DacMagic?

No, they are your thoughts NOT mine. You have only had the 326 a day or two and already yesterday your asking about the 352 model. If the 326 sound a little bright that's pretty much the norm with new amps and speakers. Give it time to RUN or BURN in.

I'm trying to help you, but if you make silly comments like the above I won't bother!

T

the record spot

Give your gear some time or, if you're still unsure, get in touch with your dealer and see what he can do to exchange. I'd let them run for a while though.
EDIT: One other thing, try repositioning your speakers slightly if you can - this can often make all the difference.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
MoData:

Did you demo this combo? You might need a couple if hundred hours running in of the speakers.

I have heard your Nad amp and personally I didn't like it and it sounded shrill to me.

The Arcam DAC and the DacMagic would work very nicely with your speakers but again, if your amp is not right for your ears....

As RS says, positioning could help. My RS6s are toed in 45 degrees (approx), 2.5m apart, 0.5m from the rear wall and 1.5m from side walls.

A

Anonymous

my rx6's did seem to sound a little bit better after about four weeks, but i wouldn't say by much ( i loved their sound from the off) ..

A

Anonymous

Find it odd to hear this combination described as bright - if anything likely to be a bit bass heavy.

daskeg:Find it odd to hear this combination described as bright - if anything likely to be a bit bass heavy.

Me too - but it depends, I suppose, on room acoustics and individual interpretations. All new stuff can sound a little 'in your face', and allied to a reflective room it could sound a bit cloying.

A

Anonymous

To Plastic Pengun:

Sorry mate. I must have misinterpreted something you said (in one of the other threads). Apologies again.

And, thanks a lot for your help and tips. I'm a very impatient person (just naturally the way I am), and this tempering is helpful.

cheers!

A

Anonymous

Just FYI in terms of room acoustics. They are from hell.

I've got hardwood floors, and big glass windows down one length (around 30 feet). I've got carpeting in a 8feet by 10feet right in front of the speakers, and I just received my curtain rods yesterday, so will be hanging up curtains today to cover the glass panes.

MoData:

I've got hardwood floors, and big glass windows down one length (around 30 feet). I've got carpeting in a 8feet by 10feet right in front of the speakers, and I just received my curtain rods yesterday, so will be hanging up curtains today to cover the glass panes.

No probs...
emotion-21.gif

Best thing to do is leave the amp on overnight and play it as much as possible. After about a week I'm sure you'll hear quite a noticeable difference.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:MoData:

No probs...
emotion-21.gif

Best thing to do is leave the amp on overnight and play it as much as possible. After about a week I'm sure you'll hear quite a noticeable difference.
i didn't. i did feel that after about 3 or 4 weeks the speakers opened up a tad, but i couldn't be sure. i'm not sure i would have described the c326-rx6 combo as bright either though as the op has found, i guess everyones perception of these things is a little different, although my room would have surely highlighted any brightness? my current set-up is a bit warmer to my ears anyways..

A

Anonymous

After three days of running, the sound has mellowed out a little. I'm also now using the Arcam rDac as the source. Taken the other Dac I was using previously back to work. The rDac seems to be bringing out the bass slowly. :)

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried moving the speakers closer to the walls? This should bring out the bass more although they are front ported so shouldn't matter. What about using thick copper cable?

A

Anonymous

After about 2 and a half days of running, things seem to be sounding a lot better now. The shrillness is gone. The Nad's character is coming out (darkness as described by some, the bass), and the speakers are not bright to the point of fatigue anymore.

Just for the record (for posterity), here are the changes I've made since first getting the system 2 days ago. They probably contributed a little, but I'm assuming it was mostly the burn in time that both the brand new Nad 326 and the brand new Monitor Audio Rx6 needed.

a) Changed out the 16 gauge cables and am now using 12 gauge cable instead. (Still cheap cables @ 1.25 a foot).

b) Using a new Arcam rDac for source

c) Moved the speakers and put them on the carpet. (hardwood floors and lots of glass in the room)

d) Put a stuffed couch about 8 feet right in front of the speakers: (to reduce reverberation)

Now, the bass is where it should be, and treble and mid range is where I like it.

I might still go get the 356, but that's so I can put in a turntable. Or I might not. let's see. :)

Thanks for all your help!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
MoData:
After about 2 and a half days of running, things seem to be sounding a lot better now. The shrillness is gone. The Nad's character is coming out (darkness as described by some, the bass), and the speakers are not bright to the point of fatigue anymore.

Just for the record (for posterity), here are the changes I've made since first getting the system 2 days ago. They probably contributed a little, but I'm assuming it was mostly the burn in time that both the brand new Nad 326 and the brand new Monitor Audio Rx6 needed.

a) Changed out the 16 gauge cables and am now using 12 gauge cable instead. (Still cheap cables @ 1.25 a foot).

c) Moved the speakers and put them on the carpet. (hardwood floors and lots of glass in the room)

d) Put a stuffed couch about 8 feet right in front of the speakers: (to reduce reverberation)

Now, the bass is where it should be, and treble and mid range is where I like it.

I might still go get the 356, but that's so I can put in a turntable. Or I might not. let's see. :)

If Zune HD is a media player and you were sending songs directly from it to your amp and you are now using the Arcam DAC in the middle, there is your problem solver. Two days is not long for you to notice a break/burn in change. However, media players sound terrible without any external help.

A

Anonymous

Not that it matters, but I had the Zune HD plugged in into a different Dac before sending it out to the Nad.

Having said that, the system sounds like it's supposed to sound today. There are two bolts behind each of the speakers. I had to loosen them up a little and now the system sounds 10K% better. (it's in the manual that you're supposed to adjust it after a 'break in' period)

MoData:

Always pays to wait. Also, a slow burn set-up is far better than instant impact....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts