NAD 7050 review - seems erroneous and completely missing the point !!!

mindgames

May 25, 2013
Visit site
The recent review on the NAD 7050 misses the point completely!!!

The whole point of this design is based on a pure digital concept (much like a power dac) where the optimimum sound is based around connecting digital alone in the purist sense.

You downgrade the NAD 7050 because it does not accept analogue devices - well this is entirely the point of the design!! No analogue can be accomodated in a design stripped down purely for digital music to be played at its very best! It does its amplification purely in the digital domain so cannot accept analogue in the conventional way - that was not its purpose! This device is "race tuned" for digital music only and NOT meant to accommodate analogue in the process of doing so!!! What are you guys like??

In addition you mention that you opened the box and see Class D amplification inside - I believe there is no Class D amplification whatsoever, being pure digital in concept.

Only the 3020 is class D - and compromises digital by being flexible and accepting analogue - the 7050 is stripped down for action in the digital domain only and I admire them for doing so!

The 3020 and 7050 are two different animals altogether so should not be compared side by side even though they may look similar - under the skin they are not!

This really was a poor review chaps - with no thought behind the 7050 concept whatsoever!!!

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
mindgames said:
In addition you mention that you opened the box and see Class D amplification inside - I believe there is no Class D amplification whatsoever, being pure digital in concept.

Whether the original modulating signal is analogue or digital, amplifiers using switched mode outputs are generally considered to be class D. The NAD 7050 would therefore be considered a class D amplifier.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
But some people may well still have an FM tuner or turntable they want to use, thus it's not the hub for everything it could well be. Also, reading the review, I get the impression the sound improvements over the 3020 aren't worth double the price, hence the 4 stars.

WHFSAV can't win. They get slated for giving everything 5 stars, then get slated when something doesn't earn 5 stars. :roll:

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
mindgames said:
You downgrade the NAD 7050 because it does not accept analogue devices - well this is entirely the point of the design!! No analogue can be accomodated in a design stripped down purely for digital music to be played at its very best! It does its amplification purely in the digital domain so cannot accept analogue in the conventional way - that was not its purpose! This device is "race tuned" for digital music only and NOT meant to accommodate analogue in the process of doing so!!! What are you guys like??

Well, they could have put an ADC in, as Devialet did. It wouldn't have compromised the core design principles of the D7050.

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Well...........I also read the german magazine Audio and they reviewed the NAD D3020 and the D7050. They were not that enthousiastic about the D7050 either. According to their tests the D3020 puts out 54 watt/8ohm and the D7050 only 27watt/8ohm.

Most of the D3020 reviews were very positive and most reviews for the D7050 were not so positive. So the What Hifi review of the D7050 is not so strange as the OP wants you to believe.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Thats a shame, it looks like a great product on paper. I'm "all digital" nowadays and looking for a decent amp+dac to upgrade to.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
wilro15 said:
I'm "all digital" nowadays and looking for a decent amp+dac to upgrade to.

Alternatives to the NAD D7050 (i.e. integrated amps < £1K, with digital inputs, though without quite the same range of functions as the NAD):

Peachtree Decco 65

TEAC AI-501DA

Cyrus 6 DAC

Any other ideas?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Good suggestions, thanks! I'll have a read about these.

I did spot the Cyrus 6 DAC but was put off by its poor USB interface (only 16/48). Seems to be the general opinion that for DACs, USB is the way to go as it is jitter free.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Have to say guys, the Peachtree, TEAC and NuForce look VERY COOL. Each has their own style but are exactly the sort of thing I am after.

Getting excited....!

manicm

WHF's review was entirely fair - 4 stars. And I tend to agree with them. For 800 quid you're getting a moderately powerful amp, very good connectivity and moderate streaming capabilities (I personally put Bluetooth in the category of the Not So Serious).

It depends what you're looking for - for this price you're not getting the best sounding amp, full stop, but its connectivity and convenience will appeal to some. Horses for courses really.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts