Myryad Z-Series experience ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
This is my first post, so hello to everyone and thank's for a very interesting site.

Currently I'm in the middle of looking at different options to upgrade my currently quite poor-sounding soundsystem (NAD-gear bought in the mid-90's, (314 amp and 514 cd-player). In terms of speakers I got a pair of minipods two years ago which I intend to keep, at least for a while.

I am living in France, where most of the brands tested and praised on this site are marketed, but at a significantly higher price. The budget I fixed for a new amp+cd-player is roughly about 1600 Euros.

This budget is unfortunately not enough for a Cyrus system (~ 2500 Euros (6XP + CD 6SE), Naim 5i+ Cd 5i or a Roksan Kandy setup. Which I agree all sounded wonderful when I listened to them.

The only solution I've found so far that respects my budget is a Myryad Z142 amp + Z114 cd-player. I am struggling to find any objective information about this products (even though the French seem to love them..) which is why I decided to ask you guys for advice. My questions right now would be:

> Is there anyone out there with a similar system, what is your experience ? (Brand in general, quality of sound, quality of build, ...)

> Is there any other brand/model that I should check out?

> Is a Myryad system gonna be too sophisticated for my current speakers ?

Regards,

Pariso

A

Anonymous

Hello,

I have the Z112 cd player and Z140 amp bought at Hifissimo for a fortune. They sound wonderful through my BC Acoustique Niger speakers. I don't think the newer versions are much different.

Objectively, what I like about this set up is the warm sound and very large soundstage, which really fills my 25 sq metre lounge. The amp is also very good for low level listening late at night and has no problem driving the very big 4 ohm speakers. Compared to a Roksan set-up, the Myryad pairing is not ruthlessly analytical. I prefer it that way, as I get a headache with bright kit that places each instrument precisely. The phono stage is very good but the 3.5mm headphone jack is not the best. The Z112 was a dramatic improvement on my previous cd player, a Nad C542.

Hop that helps.

A

Anonymous

I have the Z-160 amp that I am very pleased with. It was well reviewed and I can see why. It was like having a new music collection: I heard so much on CD and record that I hadn't heard before with my, admittedly, old amp (A&R A60). Detailed and good stage. So thumbs up for the brand and quality of sound and build.

The rest of my system is Marantz CD-7300, Rega Planar 3 and Rega R3 speakers.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I have had a Z112 CD player unit for 3 years and it has played wonderful music until recently. The first unit I had ordered (a Z110 CD player) had arrived damaged (clearly not sufficiently protected inside its box -- not really the fault of the courrier service), the second Z110 that I received after that was making a terrible CD drive mechanism noise, and so finally I had opted to replace it by a Z112 for an additional fee (whose CD drive is a bit more quiet -- though it is still part of the listening experience) (all in all it cost me a fortune to get all these units shipped every time). Any way, once received, I noticed that the Z112 CD tray wasn't always closing properly -- but it hasn't gotten worse and I wasn't going to send it back just for that. But just a few weeks ago, the electronics have failed, and now the unit will only output a very weak signal (it had happened a year ago but then it started working again by itself -- now I really have to bring it in for service... I'm just reluctant to shell more money to get it fixed after what I already paid... but I don't have a choice -- can't really afford to start afresh with a new purchase).

So: I (have) use(d) the Z112 with a good entry-level amp (Marantz PM7001) on JM Lab Chorus C05 speakers. As you see, not really newly designed products.

Before settling for the Myryad, I had listened to the entry-level Cyrus player+amp and that combination was way too analytical for me -- each instrument playing separately, I felt I was going to get a headache -- clearly, not enjoying the very sharp sound.

On the contrary, the second mix that I had listened after that (the Marantz CD player SA 7001 on my Marantz amp) was simply too warm (I really mean, smooth) and not analytical enough to my taste. For that price, I wanted more than just hearing 'soup'.

So that's why I settled for the fairly analytical Myryad Z112 on my smooth/warm amp (a good mix-- not too analytical, not too warm).

My statements are purely personal -- basically, it depends on what you're after. But take your time to make up your mind and bring your own CDs to listen (music that you know very well to make sure nothing's missing -- in my opinion you should hear/feel more than what you've heard already to justify a new purchase).

So overall the Z112 was a good product to listen to, but probably not to own in the end... as the manufacturing quality is clearly lacking and as a result it already stopped working. Think twice before investing hard-earned money on it or another product from the same series.

Paul

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts